Cort GB74JJ Bass Review

Phil O'Keefe

This is an interesting bass with obvious J-Bass influences, but a few unexpected features too.

cort-main-2-4723b042.jpg

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/cort-gb74jj-bass

For all the details, please check out my HC Review. And as always, if you have any questions or comments, that's what the thread is for - ask / comment away! :wave:

Yeah, it definitely has that narrow at the nut / wider higher up J-style neck on it. If you don't like the J-Bass, it's probably not for you.

My main complaint wasn't the neck - it's the appetite for 9V batteries, along with the lack of EQ controls in passive mode. Outside of those complaints, I thought it was a really nice bass, especially given the ~$500 street price.

• Members

I tried looking for the Headless bass my old bass player owns. For some reason I thought it might be much older then it actually was.

He bought it back in the early 80's used and its neck was badly bowed. Maybe they had issues building the first ones. Don't remember it being licensed by Steinberger either. I always thought it to be a copy even back then.

I did think the company was older then it is but apparently they started building guitars in the 70's, not the 60's as I thought. I do remember the earlier ones being ultra low budget imports many music stores would sell as beginners instruments.

They appear to have improved their quality but I don't know if they'd be something I'd buy. Given the fact you can buy an actual Fender standard Jazz bass new for nearly the same price I think the choice between a Cort or a Fender would be a no brainer.

• Members

A friend from college bought a ''Cortez'' (as they were known then) acoustic guitar back in the mid 70's so they've been around long enough. As for buying a Fender vs. a Cort, I seem to remember folks telling me it comes down to brand snobbery. And if you want an active bass Fender wants another $350 for an active J-Bass: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Deluxe-Active-Jazz-Bass-Maple-Fingerboard.gc.

Archived