No announcement yet.

Finger or Pick Style Survey

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finger or Pick Style Survey

Hey everyone! I started playing bass a couple years ago, and I'm excited to continue learning and improving.

Recently, I started using a pick. Coincidentally, I have an assignment in my Statistics class where I have to gather survey data. So, I decided I would try to learn more about my craft at the same time!

The following link is a short, 6 question survey about playing styles across different genres.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/82ZM8C8

Please consider helping out! Thanks!!

I use whatever is right for the song so I gave it a 50/50.

When I played professionally in bands I mostly used alternating fingers and often did things with the thumbs like double note pulls with thumb and finger. Most of that was cover music and playing the parts of other players using fingers was natural. I mostly play original stuff now so it really comes down to the notes an scales that need to be played.

Comment

Normally I don't uses a pick on bass, but other times I have.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

I filled out the survey

Comment

I filled out the survey. The correct answer really is whatever fits the song, but I generally start with fingers and then decide to grab a pick, although my 8 string demands a pick. I started off strumming on guitar, so using a pick on bass comes naturally to me.
          HCBF Mesa Brigade Member #2

Comment

Welcome to Harmony Central!

Interesting how you broke the survey down by genre... and it really does make a difference IMO. I'd be far more likely to play with a pick on a Rock song than on an R&B song.

Will you please let us know the results of the survey once it's concluded? I'd sure appreciate that!

Best of luck with your class!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I filled out your survey only to decide that you are trying to find out my gender! I refuse to be subject to your narrow definitions of gender. Why you didn't even have unsexual as an option! :triggered:
              Well, I'm not sure how much I can respect any man who takes Lug seriously - King Kashue
              Sucking like that is a gift. You couldn't recognize the genius of Suck if it sat on your face and farted. -S400
              You don't fix Lug's posts. Lug's posts fix you. - MrJoshua
              You can be my HCBF boyfriend forever. - Sugarskull

Comment

Working...
              X