Color code for bass string ball ends?

blackcats

• Members

Does anyone recognize this set of color codes for bass string ball ends?

more: chung cư 44 triều khúc

Low E string - metallic color like brass or steel

A string - red

D string - another metallic color like brass or steel

G string - green

I was watching a video of my favorite bass player, and noticed he was using these strings. I searched the forum and internet, but couldn't find a color code, size type translation table.

Thanks.

Tags: xuân mai complex, eco dream

• Moderators

There is no universal code. Many manufacturers don't color the ends at all. D'Addario does, and their colors are as follows:

E - brass

A - red

D - black

G - green

This is close to what you say you're looking for. Could be a D'Addario set with a replacement D string.

• Members

As usual, isaac has offered you good advice. Bass strings aren't cheap so most of the time players will just replace a single string if one breaks. If you're not happy with your current strings, your best bet is to find a set of D'Addario's in whatever gauge you prefer and see how they work for you.

• Members

The color coding is common on acoustic orchestra stringed instruments, Violin, Viola, Cello Bass. These do indicate thickness ranges too.

1412343940.png

A few manufactures of bass and guitar strings use them now but Issac is correct when he says there's no fixed standard. They use whatever they want to use so it manufacture specific.

The two brands I know of are the D'Addario who's color coded their strings for a long time now. They print the color/string numbers on the package.

Labella is another who's just started using the color codes on guitar strings, specifically in the past 6 months I've bought them. I don't think they color code the bass strings, at least not yet. When I buy flat wound bass strings they stick small plastic pieces on the strings which are numbered. They look like miniature dice with a hole drilled through them.

Personally I've never had an issue figuring out bass string gauges. Its pretty easy to tell the thickness from each other when replacing a set.

I have made mistakes accidentally swapping guitar strings before. Not very often but the thin strings can be deceiving if you aren't paying attention.

Bass strings aren't cheap so most of the time players will just replace a single string if one breaks.

It certainly happens, but I don't know if I'd say "most of the time"... even if I break a string from a fairly new set, I'll replace the set - it would have to be a practically brand new set before I'd consider doing a single string replacement. YMMV.

• Members

I always replace the entire set too.

I think most of us have been in your position Deepend. Back when I first started playing I'd run the strings as long as possible The exception might be if I got a break right at the ball end and I'd I have enough of the broken string to wrap it through the ball twice then twist it off, I could get extra life out of the set before I was forced to replace it.

Back then I used to buy strings at a music store and it wasn't uncommon for me to buy single strings. The owner had a box which contained leftovers from packs. If he didn't have the correct gauge he'd crack a new pack open. You never knew exactly what you were getting so the results of having one new string with a bunch of dead strings rarely sounded very good.

The other times I'd change singles was at a gig and you needed to slap a single string on. It usually ruins your night because you have to keep tuning it and you're worried about breaking another.

Luckily I didn't have to rely solely on music for an income. I listened to my folks at an early age and chose a second career path to music, otherwise I'd have a hard time funding what I did in music. Its not to say I haven't would up busted and flat broke selling off every piece of gear I owned more than once. I surely know what that's like, and it why I have sympathy for working musicians. I was able to avoid the constant desperation most working musicians endure trying to retain steady work.

• Moderators

There is always the possibility that the guy prefers a different gauge D string not available from D'Addario, meaning that the substitute string could be brand new. Who knows? Of course, I could also be completely wrong. It's happened before!

• Members
There is always the possibility that the guy prefers a different gauge D string not available from D'Addario' date=' meaning that the substitute string could be brand new. Who knows? Of course, I could also be completely wrong. It's happened before![/quote']

D'Addario single guitar strings aren't color coded (I don't know about bass strings but they probably aren't either), so it may well be a D'Addario, just not part of the original set if he mixes gauges like you mentioned.

• Members

I don't make anything as a musician; in fact, I hesitate to call myself one. My bass has Ernie Ball flats on it that I bought on clearance at GC. I broke the D during a setup and ordered a GHS in the same gauge online. I only use it for practicing and actually play the J Bass our church owns so the strings didn't have that much playing time. It just seemed silly to replace a complete $38 (original price) set of strings.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Bass friends, Quick question... I have been playing bass professionally for over half my life. And for most of my career, I have used Elixir strings. I LOVE THEM!!! recently in purchased a couple of SS Squier Jaguar basses and took them to a very reputable luthier in Nashville tn For a fret level and an initial set up. Before I dropped them off, I stopped by GC and bought two packs of Elixir Strings to have put on these basses. SOOOO.... a couple of weeks later, I go back to pick up Basses, I pay the gentleman and leave. When I get home, I take one of the Basses out of the case and as soon as I run my hands across the strings, I can instantly tell... these strings don’t feel like Elixirs. I’m inspecting these two Basses and notice that the ball end of these strings (on both Basses) are SILVER. For years now the ball end of Elixir Bass strings have always been GOLD. My Question is... did this asshole take my strings and swap them with a cheap, non-coated string? Or am i the asshole and at any point here recently did Elixir switch from a gold ball ends to silver ones? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I haven't used them either. I do know there are many companies making coated strings now. How similar they might be is the question. 

Thing is it could have been the music store or the manufacturer that didn't the swap. I've seen manufacturers swap out different types of strings of the same gauge and you have all these Chinese counterfeiters selling stuff that looks like the real thing.  A seller can make a big profit buying  counterfeit strings and selling them as the real McCoy. 

I suggest you go by that store and ask to look at a set and see if they've changed the color of the ball end.  Make sure the gauge is the same too, they may use silver for a light gauged set and gold or some other color for a heavy or long gauged set. 

The real question is how do they sound and play. Granted they worked on the instrument and the strings are new, so it will feel different and sound like it has new strings.  If you've used them a long time you should be able to tell the difference.  The other thing I'd check is the way its wrapped at the ball end. The strings may be similar in the middle and tuner end but the wrapping of the ball is often unique to the manufacturer depending on the type of string winding equipment used.  Maybe you'll find a difference there.  counterfeiters get better all the time but they rarely pay attention to fine details.  The Elixir should have no flaws at all based on the guitar strings I've used years ago.    

Archived