Rickenbacker 4003

AlienArtifact

• Members

I've been playing bass since the late 80's. My first "real" bass was a Spector during the grunge years of the early 90's. I could get some cool "Ric"-like tones out of it, but it didn't quite have the growl of a Rickenbacker. I didn't even know until about 10 years ago, that Tool used Rics on their debut EP and first album. The bass tones on those recordings sounded amazing to me. Even if I wanted a Rickenbacker back in those years, I couldn't afford it... I was in college and broke.

• Members

Congratulations and Happy New Bass Day. :thu: You never know what bass is going to speak to you. A while back a Forum member was looking for a bass that would produce the tone that was in his head. He tried numerous brands, Fender, Gibson, G&L, Music Man, nothing did it for him. Then one day he played a used Warwick and that was it, a bass nobody thought of or recommended was ''the one.'' I'm glad you found ''the one'' for your ears. Play it in good health.

• Members

I have the Ibanez ATK which is a poor man's Music Man. It can do the aggressive growling tones of the Rickenbacker, but the neck on the Ibanez is not nearly as comfortable and smooth as the Ric. And obviously, a mid-grade Ibanez is not on the same level as a Rickenbacker. The only knock on Rickenbacker that I can think of is... I wish they had a 5-string model. I've been playing 5's and 6's for years. I like having the low B sting... but I can live without it.

And I agree with Mikeo... Geddy Lee's best work was with a Rickenbacker!

• Members

Chris Squire used to use a band pass cap on both pickups to remove the bass tones. Some older Ricks came wired with a .0047us cap wired in series with the bridge pickup. I and article he modified the values and use high pass filters on both (maybe different values) The cap is put in series with the signal to roll the bass off. This gives the bass a much more metallic tone with less bass.

He's then use a Modified Marshall head that was used as a preamp that drive Ampeg power heads which drove 6X12 cabs. The combination of using the high pass cap and using a Marshall as a preamp gave him those bright overdriven metallic midrange tones he's noted for. He essentially drove a bass amp like a guitar amp doing that. I wouldn't doubt the strings were lighter too given the speed of his notes.

Allot of bass players did that. John Entwistle used 12's and Marshall heads. There's something to say about that kind of setup, especially when it came to recording, and pressing to Vinyl. Studios would have to roll all those sub frequencies anyway before cutting vinyl. They simply removed the sub lows before they got to the mic. This allows the bass to be mixed hotter and compete more with guitars and keyboards.

Its easy to wire in a band pass cap too using a pot so you can dial the bass off too.

• Members
I have bypassed the bass blocker cap on all of my older Ric 4001s. I like a bass to sound' date=' y'know, bassy.[/quote']

I plan on doing this on my 77....the first time I remove the pickguard....which I've never done. :D

Archived