Talk about weird, horrible, funny band situations

Perfessor

• Members

I'll start. I was in a blues band with a very talented singer who could learn lyrics and sing them like no one else I've worked with. We had a good and popular band in the Akron, OH area. I knew him 4 years. The thing is, every single thing he said about himself in previous bands and who he played with in Nashville, his jobs, etc., were complete fabrications. He claimed to sing for Stacy Mitchhart in Nashville. He claimed he was a singer who's jams well known country stars used to come to the singer's jams in their younger days. You get the idea. It dawned on me and the band when I asked Stacy in a trip to Nashville if he ever heard of the singer. Nope. I asked around at all the places in Nashville he said he knew people. Nope. A couple of us decided to show up at the hotel he said he was a manager at to take him to a power lunch. They said they didn't have anyone there by that name. Turns out,he was a permanent welfare case who did DJ karaoke on the side. That's where he learned the music. Looking back, no wonder he had to leave so many social events to "do a favor" for a bar to"fill in" as a DJ for them. He did an awful lot of filling in! I doubt he was actually ever in a band before. Just a drunk DJ wannabe. He could sing, I'll give him that.

• Members

He must have wanted to be a singer pretty bad or you were gullible in believing what he had to say. Usually its both. That is a big problem in music. Music is a pure art form and its difficult to be good at performing and working with other artists is you keep secrets from your band mates.

Its hard to know who actually are telling the truth from those who exaggerate or flat out lie about they're experience. I developed a discerning eye at a very young age. Back in High School some 40 years ago I took music classes. We had a guy in the class who was always dropping names bragging about the famous artists he knew like Alice Cooper and Stephen Tyler. We all thought he was a BSer but he was a natural for the music business. I even played in a band with him for awhile, mainly because no one else would and he was always bugging me to teach him songs.

Came to find out later, everything he said was true. Got to meet them myself. He went on to producing several bands even wrote the hit songs for bands like Bon Jovi. I've come across many similar situations and have several friends who are major artists. You come to realize star musicians are just like anyone else.

The big question is, do you need to name drop to gain other peoples respect or can you gain that respect through your own good name. I've always been uncomfortable name dropping, even in a thread like this. I'll do it occasionally when the topic is relative, but I keep most of those stories in confidence. I wouldn't know those people otherwise.

Archived