Modding Guitar Wah for Bass

john42654b

• Members

Hello

I have a Dunlop Cry Baby Wah that I wanted to mod for bass. I read somewhere this can be done by replacing one of the caps but when I opened the wah I saw there are 2 caps and I wasn't sure which one to replace. Anyone have any experience doing this kind of mod?

Thanks

• Members

There are at least 7 caps. You simply don't recognize them from they're different package types because you aren't a tech.

The 0.01uF cap controls the frequency range. A lower value shifts the whole sweep higher in frequency. A higher value gives it more bass.

To shift the wah downwards for more bass try a 0.015 or 0.022uF cap. The arrow in this diagram points to the .01uf you're looking for.

pcb5.jpg

There are other mods that can be done too. One that requires no soldering is to loosen the pressure clip that holds the rack gear in place (the piece of plastic that makes the pot spin. Then jump a tooth or two towards the bass range. This will give the wah a deeper sweep. Make sure you don't jump the gears too far or the pot may reach its limit and get damaged by the pedal tredle. Be sure the switch still operates and the pedal can reach either extreme without hitting the pots extremes.

There's usually 1/4 extra turn on the pot that's unused. between jumping teeth and/or loosening the pot and turning it you can usually darken or lighten the wah tone. The wah is set for upper mid tones and you want to bring the tone down to match the bass frequencies better.

There are other mods you can do too. Not sure how may would be good for bass besides the two I mentioned but you could try them an find out. Wah isn't an effect I use much if at all on bass. I'd likely opt of something like a chorus over a wah in the few occasions I do use an effect.

• Members

Hi WR

Thank you for your reply and for the detailed information. I did try adjusting the rack gear but after adjusting it I thought it sounded better where it was. If it doesn't look to hard to replace that cap I will give it a try and let you know how I make out. At least now I know which one to replace.

The sound I was looking for was the sound that John Wetton got with King Crimson, on songs like Fracture. Someone mentioned Wetton used a Jen Fuzz Wah pedal but I don't think they make them any longer.

Thank you once again for sharing your expertise

Have a good day

John

Archived