Several questions about the project of adding bass and treble control

Shawnan

• Members

I have a little project in mind that I want to try. This picture below is a stereo amplifier circuit. For more info about it, you can see the schematic in the attachment.

The TDA2822M IC used in this project is a dual amplifier built into an eight pin chip. You can see the datasheet of it here: http://www.kynix.com/uploadfiles/pdf9675/TDA2822M.pdf

It consists of two channels, each identical and with external components to provide a very simple but powerful stereo amplifier, with a gain of 39dB and a current draw of 9mA with supply voltage in the range of 1.8 - 15 Volts. It will plug into the earphone socket of Walkman type machines and give excellent quality stereo sound from two speakers. Students are encouraged to research the fascinating technology of speaker box design.

The circuit above only has Gain and Volume control, how do I add Bass and Treble control? Where do I add them? How's the circuit layout/schematic?

Thank you.

b640fe7126ac519baaa089e56b75e2b2.png.b35b2e4cd6da218f83ff0d21f4517050.png

• Members

You will need an op-amp and a x-over. Then just run your highs to one input, and the lows to the other, (pins 6 &7 of course!) I suspect the 10k pot will still work. I would check the specs and make sure the signal you are sending to the inputs of the stereo amp circuit aren't to hot. You may need a divider to attenuate the signal. You could try a pair of passive x-overs too.

• Members

Given this is a self contained unit, you are not able to add treble and bass after the first gain stage where it would work best.

You could add a simple band pass and band cut capacitors before the input, just like you'd use caps on a guitar, with pots to bypass/taper they're effects. The treble cut can be a .05uf cap and a 500K pot. The bass cap can be a .1uf in series with the signal then the cap gradually shunts it. You'll loose allot of gain in the process but its the only way it can be done with a self contained amplifier pack like that

Archived