How are MIM Fender P Basses These Days?

Bucksstudent

• Members

I'm looking for a new bass, and though I've owned a ton, including a really nice 90's MIA Peavey, I always end up trading them. In my experience with guitars, standard MIM Fenders are good, not great, in terms of tone, but on par with standard MIA in terms of build quality. And when I say "standard," I mean the baseline, bonestock Fenders; not Classic Players and the like. However, I haven't played any of the more contemporary MIM instruments, so I wanted to gauge your opinions before sinking $600 into a new P bass.

• Members

Maybe I should've asked HCEG. This place is even more dead. :lol:

Thanks Deepend. Realistically, I should just go find a newer one and play it in store, but I despise going to the local shop for anything but strings. I'd have to go to Atlanta to find a music store with an actual 2017 model, and no one wants to do that.

• Members
I'm looking for a new bass' date=' and though I've owned a ton, including a really nice 90's MIA Peavey, I always end up trading them. In my experience with guitars, standard MIM Fenders are good, not great, in terms of tone, but on par with standard MIA in terms of build quality. And when I say "standard," I mean the baseline, bonestock Fenders; not Classic Players and the like. However, I haven't played any of the more contemporary MIM instruments, so I wanted to gauge your opinions before sinking $600 into a new P bass.[/quote']

I have not played one recently, put I have in the past.

I do own a Fender Jazz Deluxe MIA, that is an amazing bass. The MIM one not bad at all.

I live where there are not many music store around, so I have to travel to the Albany NY area ( bout 50 miles), or to the Northampton MA area ( bout 50 miles in the other driection) to try anything. That's if the have something interesting I want.

I have come to a point in my life that music shops are not much fun, and time is money. An hour one way and hour back, is never a real hour in time. Time in the shop, negotiation a price.

I just know what I want and if it's new, MF, Sweetwater, Sam Ash, and others. 2 minutes on the phone. They wll give me a discount and free shipping.

Will recommend the active electronics Fender Jazz. It has all the thump of a P Bass and way more tones. Just buy it online and be done with it.

I did a quick search on youtube, and found the not best recording.

Used they are defiinatey in your price range.

Always order forma place you can send anything back, no questions asked. after a day or so of trying it.

[video=youtube;-gjaMk74z84]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gjaMk74z84

[video=youtube;47F_P5j7vMU]

• Members
Hey, Mike, thanks for the response!

I'm not a huge fan of Jazz basses, but I'll see if one appeals to me.

I here ya, but with active pick ups it's not really like the standard old skool jazz bass. I have a standard Jazz bass too, but the body on the Deluxe is a touch smaller, the neck a bit slicker and the tone can thunder like a P bass if you want it.

There's also a P Bass deluxe, which I have never played, as I'm really happy with the Jazz.

It's been with me for 15 years.

Here's the Deluxe P bass special.

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-basses/precision-bass/deluxe-active-precision-bass-special/0143412300.html

I'm looking for a new bass' date=' and though I've owned a ton, including a really nice 90's MIA Peavey, I always end up trading them. In my experience with guitars, standard MIM Fenders are good, not great, in terms of tone, but on par with standard MIA in terms of build quality. And when I say "standard," I mean the baseline, bonestock Fenders; not Classic Players and the like. However, I haven't played any of the more contemporary MIM instruments, so I wanted to gauge your opinions before sinking $600 into a new P bass.[/quote']

I haven't played the current MIM P-Bass, but the MIM Mustang Bass PJ is a very nice instrument. Good solid pickups in it too.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived