Whats the most physically demanding song you play?

WRGKMC

• Members

There were several that were major workouts when I played bass professionally in bands.

Back in the 80's The band played Turning Japanese by the Ramones.

I played that one without a pick using two alternating fingers and more then once my hand would freeze up during that song with its machine gun pulse rate.

The other two that come to mind which are both physically demanding and technically tough are LA woman by the Doors and Closer to home by Grand Funk.

Those songs sound simple and are for other instruments but the bass and drums are really moving.

I can probably think of many others. White Wedding by Billy Idol, Born to run by Springsteen, Pump it Up by Elvis Costello all let you know you just had a good workout.

What say you?

• Members
When Doves Cry by Prince.

Haven't heard that one in awhile. I can hear it in my mind and know there's a bunch of keyboard in that one. It had a Lynn Drum machine and Prince was credited as being the only performer.

To tell you the truth, I don't even think the original recording had an actual bass part. Its the drums that carry the bottom end. It may have just been a sequenced recording throughout. I'll have to listen to it again.

I'm sure there was a bass player live and his band Revolution were no slouches. Whatever he may have played live would have been done by what I call Musician's Musicians.

• Members
Can you Understand by Renaissance.

Now that's a band I haven't heard of in a long time. I bought they're Prologue album back in the 70's because I thought the cover was really cool. I had switched from playing classical music on a violin in an orchestra to guitar and was playing allot of pop music during my High School days. That album came out when the big Moog Synth bands were going full tilt. That album even though it had some quirky stuff wound up being one of my favorites. The piano and male/female duo vocalists are excellent throughout.

• Members

I had been playing for 9 years at that point playing live 4 nights a week on the club circuit doing 4 sets and 4 hour shows. Its just that one song that really wore my right hand out. Its different when you record a song like that because you can take breaks. When you play out you go a full hour non stop. I made sure we played that one earlier in the night. Everything else seemed easy to play after doing that one. easy in comparison

• Members

Haven't heard that one in awhile. I can hear it in my mind and know there's a bunch of keyboard in that one. It had a Lynn Drum machine and Prince was credited as being the only performer.

To tell you the truth, I don't even think the original recording had an actual bass part. Its the drums that carry the bottom end. It may have just been a sequenced recording throughout. I'll have to listen to it again.

I'm sure there was a bass player live and his band Revolution were no slouches. Whatever he may have played live would have been done by what I call Musician's Musicians.

​The bass line is very very similar to 4′33″ composer John Cage. I'm surprised that no copyright lawsuit has been initiated.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived