2014 Gibson EB-bass blow-out

Etienne Rambert

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I used to have a 60's EBO which I played live for a number of years. I loved the neck on it because it was a medium scaled bass and I could get around on it very well. The bridge pickup didn't balance with the neck very well. If I still had it I would have replaced that mini with something like a Vox pickup.

The one there looks to have a similar neck but its a 5 string and everything else is quite different. Not a bad price for any Gibson and even though I'm not a huge fan of light colored satin finishes that one doesn't look bad. Nice heavy duty bridge would likely give you some nice sustain.

• Members

Never been in the same room with one but the reviews I've read indicate that they're lightweight with a thin finish, also that the fretwork tends to be iffy and the wiring can be wonky. Might be worth it if you're handy and want to fix one up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
I've never played one of the 5 string models' date=' but I did review a 2013 4 string EB. Here's a link to the review if you'd like to check it out. Please let me know if you have any questions about anything. :wave:

01-27-2017, 06:32 AM

@Idunno: been in the same room with one but the reviews I've read indicate that they're lightweight with a thin finish, also that the fretwork tends to be iffy and the wiring can be wonky. Might be worth it if you're handy and want to fix one up.

Good vid review Phil, I haven't seen those unboxing reviews for awhile. I hope they're in syndication. I like everything about the Gibson 2014 offset basses. A MIM P-bass is too heavy, long-necked and long-fretted for my taste. Even a Jazz bass is too long-fretted for me. The made-in US Gibson at the same price is a no-brainer.

@Idunno: In my experience, new lower-priced Gibsons always need fretwork at the outset. My son bought a new SG for $700 a few years ago at GC. It had frets like railroad ties.

I've bought too much gear lately. Now I'm buying a house to put it all in. But 2014 Gibson offset bases are going for $799 w/case. After closing - it will be first on my list. I love the pop- control on the pick-ups.I like the looks. I like the neck and the weight. A US-made Gibson at that price is a deal even w/a fret job.

• Moderators

That's a direct consequence of the scale length, the distance from the nut to the bridge. All 34" scale basses will have the same distance between the frets. Rickenbackers, being 33¼" scale, will have frets slightly closer together. Short scale (30") basses will have them closer together yet.

• Members
"Long-fretted"?

Sure. A classical guitar is long fretted and a mandolin is short fretted. ;) Seriously, Gibson's site doesn't specify scale length but Music Radar says it's 34" just like a J-Bass so I don't know why Etienne would be interested: http://www.musicradar.com/news/bass/...evealed-589407.

Edit: It occurs to me that Etienne could take a long scale bass and tune it to D or maybe Drop C and play on a part of the fretboard where the frets are closer together. From the bridge to the 2nd fret of a 34'' scale bass is about 30.3''

• Members

Turns out my old Mosrite 350 bass which I loved, was 30 1/4" scale.

I preferred a J-bass tone. But I loved the Mosrite neck.

I could almost get the J-bass tone I wanted w/tape wound strings.

My daughter gave it away to a BF while I was living overseas..

But back in the day, players would often offer to buy that bass from me.

In retrospect, I should have sold it. It's still out there somewhere.

Mosrite350MonoBass.jpg

BTW, 2014 five-strings are being blown out for $899 including case.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBBAEB5LE?siid=122882

• Moderators
Turns out my old Mosrite 350 bass which I loved, was 30 1/4" scale.

I preferred a J-bass tone. But I loved the Mosrite neck.

I could almost get the J-bass tone I wanted w/tape wound strings.

My daughter gave it away to a BF while I was living overseas..

But back in the day, players would often offer to buy that bass from me.

In retrospect, I should have sold it. It's still out there somewhere.

Mosrite350MonoBass.jpg

BTW, 2014 five-strings are being blown out for $899 including case.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBBAEB5LE?siid=122882

That little bitch!

Archived