The SansAnp Bass Driver DI...

Phil O'Keefe

• Members
I had the RBI rackmount years ago. Sounded great. I have no idea what I was thinking selling it.

Phil- perhaps I missed it within the article, but what is the difference between this V2 model and the previous version of the sansamp?

It has a midrange tone control, with selectable frequency for the mid-band.

I had the RBI rackmount years ago. Sounded great. I have no idea what I was thinking selling it.

Phil- perhaps I missed it within the article, but what is the difference between this V2 model and the previous version of the sansamp?

From the "Conclusions" section:

While the basic functions and tone remain the same, the added Mid EQ, along with the Bass shift EQ switch give it added capabilities that the previous version lacked.

Thanks for checking it out guys! I appreciate it! :):o And please let me know if anyone has any other questions! :wave:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I had one of the Tech21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI pedals (I guess you could call it the version 1.0 model :D ) for several years. It certainly did a great job of substituting for an amp and providing an interface to a PA or studio mixing console.

Then, maybe 4 years ago, I finally got around to demo-ing an Eden World Tour WTDI pedal and decided to dump my SansAmp Bass Driver pedal in favor of the Eden pedal. I could dial in good amplifier tones a lot easier and faster with the Eden pedal.

So, now, after all of these years, it looks like Tech21 improved the tonal section of its pedal to better compete with the Eden pedal.

I had one of the Tech21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI pedals (I guess you could call it the version 1.0 model :D ) for several years. It certainly did a great job of substituting for an amp and providing an interface to a PA or studio mixing console.

Then, maybe 4 years ago, I finally got around to demo-ing an Eden World Tour WTDI pedal and decided to dump my SansAmp Bass Driver pedal in favor of the Eden pedal. I could dial in good amplifier tones a lot easier and faster with the Eden pedal.

So, now, after all of these years, it looks like Tech21 improved the tonal section of its pedal to better compete with the Eden pedal.

Interesting. I never considered that the updated version may have been in reaction / response to the Eden World Tour WTDI.

I did get to try one of their pedals last year, and I liked it quite a bit, but it was the Eden Glowplug, which is more of a LF tonal shaper / tube warmer and not really a full-blown preamp / DI. Cool sounding pedal though.

• Members
Interesting. I never considered that the updated version may have been in reaction / response to the Eden World Tour WTDI.

Tech21 is undoubtedly the current leader in the bass amp emulation / DI pedal marketplace -- with several models. Their biggest competition in this market is likely Eden, with MXR, Aguilar, and maybe Behringer a bit farther back.

All of these other pedals have midrange tonal controls. The Eden sounds great, is small, easy to use, and is a bargain with a street price of $149.

Tech21 is undoubtedly the current leader in the bass amp emulation / DI pedal marketplace -- with several models. Their biggest competition in this market is likely Eden, with MXR, Aguilar, and maybe Behringer a bit farther back.

All of these other pedals have midrange tonal controls. The Eden sounds great, is small, easy to use, and is a bargain with a street price of $149.

I'll have to see if I can try one out soon. Thanks for the info!

• Members

Actually it's not. We've offered the midrange control on our rack mount version (the RBI) for years. We have been making the Bass Driver DI in various forms since 1992 and the Acoustic DI which later became the Para Driver DI which has a semi parametric sweepable mid range control was first introduced in 1996. The addition of the midrange control was added to offer a bit more flexibility like the rack mount RBI without straying too far from the signature sound of the unit. One reason why many like the Bass Driver DI is the ease of getting "that sound" quickly.

Actually it's not. We've offered the midrange control on our rack mount version (the RBI) for years. We have been making the Bass Driver DI in various forms since 1992 and the Acoustic DI which later became the Para Driver DI which has a semi parametric sweepable mid range control was first introduced in 1996. The addition of the midrange control was added to offer a bit more flexibility like the rack mount RBI without straying too far from the signature sound of the unit. One reason why many like the Bass Driver DI is the ease of getting "that sound" quickly.

It's certainly very quick and easy to get a great bass tone with the Bass Driver DI. :cool2: Thanks for the clarification! :wave:

Archived