Bass note with G5 chord

DeepEnd

• Members

Sure. Just looking for suggestions/input from more experienced people. FWIW, I did look at the sheet music and most of the time there's either a normal G triad or some inversion with all three notes but occasionally there isn't. Occasionally, there's no third and once or twice, there's no root but I presume the bass would take care of that. Anyway, if the piano is playing the third, why wouldn't I play it on guitar or possibly bass? :confused2:

• Moderators
Sure. Just looking for suggestions/input from more experienced people. FWIW' date=' I did look at the sheet music and most of the time there's either a normal G triad or some inversion with all three notes but occasionally there isn't. Occasionally, there's no third and once or twice, there's no root but I presume the bass would take care of that. Anyway, if the piano is playing the third, why wouldn't I play it on guitar or possibly bass? :confused2:[/quote']

If the third is being played on the piano, there wouldn't be a need to play it on the bass. On the other hand, if it flows nicely within the bass line and the context of the song, there's no reason not to.

Take the bass line to "I Saw Her Standing There". On the line, "How could I dance with another", the chords are E, E7, A, C, but the bass line is E, G#, A, C. The G# accentuates the unsettled feeling of the E7, and leads smoothly into the A chord.

• Moderators
The chords for the first line of this song are G/B' date=' C2, D, G5. The next line begins with G/B. I'd probably play B, C, D and then either stay with D or go back down to B. I need to noodle around a bit and decide what sounds right.[/quote']

That's the right answer.

Now, what's a C2? Anything like a C9?

• Members
. . . Now' date=' what's a C2? Anything like a C9?[/quote']

AFAIK, C2 is a shorthand way of writing Cadd9. A C9 would have a 7th (Bb) in it, a Cadd9 wouldn't. I usually play it like this:

X

or sometimes I'll substitute a Csus2 like this:

• Members
The chords for the first line of this song are G/B' date=' C2, D, G5. The next line begins with G/B. I'd probably play B, C, D and then either stay with D or go back down to B. I need to noodle around a bit and decide what sounds right.[/quote']

The G/B chord is a way to say the bass plays the lower note, so B C D G would work.

• Members
The G/B chord is a way to say the bass plays the lower note' date=' so B C D G would work.[/quote']

Interesting. I do, in fact, normally play the B on bass in a situation like that but I've always thought it meant the guitar played a G with a B at the bottom, say maybe like this:

X

• Members

Interesting. I do, in fact, normally play the B on bass in a situation like that but I've always thought it meant the guitar played a G with a B at the bottom, say maybe like this:

X

Yes, it's an inverted G chord with the bass supposed to play that bottom note (B) to make it more pronounced.

Archived