Shell pink, reliced... and a signature model

Phil O'Keefe

That's a combination sure to draw some controversy.... :lol: I know there are some who refuse to play any sig model instruments, while others dislike reliced instruments and still others dislike shell pink. Still, I'm sure there are a lot of people who are going to be interested in the new Flea signature Jazz Bass...

0141020356gtrfrt001rr-f920d088.jpg

For more info, check out the full blurb in the HC News.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/news/f...pink-jazz-bass

So... what do you guys think?

I know shell pink isn't the most popular custom color, but I've always thought it was pretty darned cool. :philthumb:

I don't mind the color but I really don't care for the relicing. Looks like it's priced at $1199.99 (http://www.nme.com/news/red-hot-chili-peppers/94956). I wouldn't pay it but I suppose there are those who might.

That's actually lower than I thought it would be, based on the fact it's a sig model (they often tend to be priced higher) and the fact that the finish is nitro lacquer. It's MIM though, which usually means a bit lower price tag than the USA models.

Side note: When did they start spraying lacquer in Mexico? I thought that was strictly a USA thing on Fenders. :idk:

• Members
If you're a woman with a punk look who plays bass' date=' pink may be your color, but I'll have to give it a double - Barf, Barf.[/quote']

I'm secure enough in my masculinity to play a pink bass but the relicing would be a deal breaker.

• Members

I don't know if FMIC has done it with this particular model, but when relicing is done to emulate a specific legacy guitar - and you wind up with hundreds/thousands of identical relics - it crosses the line from "homage" to "pigheaded fanboi emulation" and reminds me of "Boys From Brazil," and not in a good way.

A regular old shell pink Jazz bass, on the other hand, is luscious. They coulda done one with a matching headstock and made me all kinds of creamy.

Archived