Can you ID this bass?

Rothstaman

• Members
I''m glad you guys doubt it's a hagstrom' date=' because I originally really doubted it in my post. :lol:[/quote']

So as long as none of us think it's a Hagstrom we're probably right. Interesting. Religions are based on shared faith. Wonder what we could have based on shared doubt? If nothing else, someone could use it as a band name.

• Members

Definitely not Hagstrom by any stretch.

It looks older then the 80's too, more likely a mid to late 60's build. 70's at the latest. Japan was making much better bases by the 70's. This one definitely looks like an older mail order instrument made by one of the larger Japanese instrument builders.

It comes close to having a Silvertone pickguard and wider pickups like these. Teisco made some of the older mail order Silvertones in the 60's. These have the pickguard squared off on the left and hook around on the control side. Its probably safe to say yours is a mid 60's Matsumoku build.

35n4w2o.jpg

$_1.JPG

Silvertone1490BassFull_zpsb1e20285.jpg

• Members

It's also probably had the horns trimmed, been repainted and had the pickguard reshaped to conform to the new shape of the horns. There may not be a strap button visible on the upper horn because it was removed when the horn was reshaped. Possibly there's a strap button on the back of the neck?

Archived