Short Scale Strings

WRGKMC

• Members

The differences in short scale strings for a short scale bass are explained here. http://menga.net/adventures-with-str...le-bass-guitar

I have a set of long scale strings on my short scale Gretch bass and was using the bass this weekend to record. Besides the fact I was getting allot of string buzz

this article explains the issue you have with overtones due to the fact the core wires are too thin for a short scale. I was able to negate allot of those issues with some

tweaking but getting rid of the buzz while keeping the string height reasonable didn't work out very well.

I been playing my Hofner more lately and had put the solid body aside for quite awhile. I've been using strings specifically designed for the Hofners slightly longer string length (due to the extra inch or two from the bridge to tailpiece) and it plays so much better then the solid body with those long scaled strings.

The cure is to get some actual short scale strings for it which I will of course. I had put the set of D'Addario on there because I had a couple of extra sets on hand. It works in a pinch but given the amount of buzz it wasn't worth it. The bass is set to proper specs too. Level frets, Correct Relief etc. The cores are just too flabby for the short scale. Its like having strings tuned down a couple of frets on a normal bass. Even with compensating adjustments it just doesn't sound good.

When you use long scale standard strings (34" scale) on a short scale bass (30-31" scale) you end up having to clip the part of the string off that was thinned to improve sustain and hold the strings true tone (not to mention keep intonation consistent). wrapping the thick part of the string around the tuning peg destroys tone and risks snapping the core when you tighten the strings via the outer wraps instead of tightening it by the core.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I bought two new sets this weekend. A set of medium scale half round D'Addario for my Hofner and a short scale set of Labella Deep Talking strings for my Gretch.

It sure made a difference in playability. I had a set of long scaled strings on the Gretch and it was Buzzing at the frets all over the place. All of that disappeared when I put the short scaled strings on there.

I had been using Labella Flats on the Hofner. I switched to a set of round wound Hofner strings and it too was buzz city. I even dressed the frets to be sure I had no high ones and backed off the truss completely. No luck getting rid of the buzzing all over the place.

I thought the thick winds might have been part of the cause. Maybe the strings rested on the frets between winds lowering the strings and causing buzz. I didn't want to use another set of flats. Besides raising the prices I wasn't getting the tones I wanted.

The medium scale set fit perfectly. Even though the set gauges thinner, the tension was quite a bit higher. I had to tighten the truss up and reset the intonation. Man want a difference in playability and tone. No buzzing at all on any fret. Tone was much better too. I had had the mids and highs of a round wound and the smoothness of flats. I been getting blisters playing with my fingers using the rounds. The semi flats feel much better.

Finding the right strings for that Hofner has been a challenge. I like the brighter round wound tones and I also like the deepness the flats produce. The half wounds are in between those two. Brighter sounding steel and less wear on the frets and fingers.

There is definitely a difference in the core size tensions between short and long scales too.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived