Lightweight Heads GK vs TC

swojo

• Members

Looking for opinions!!!

I currently have a GK MB800 bass head that I love the sound and features of. It's 3 years old, used but not abused, and giving me troubles. The DI has an intermittent buzz/hum like a ground loop, but there is no lift switch. Last gig it was distorting to the speakers. I'm going to send it out to get fixed, but will be getting a 2nd head. Because I can.

I'm considering a TC RH750, a TC BH800, or another GK MB800. Obviously, I'm a little less inclined with the GK because of the reliability... Thoughts? Experiences? I'm using an active Fender bass and 1 or 2 Hartke 4 x 10 XL 8 ohm cabs...

• Members

TC and GK make some good stuff but I've never tried them. The big issue with these new class D heads Is heat. To produce that much power in such a small head they need good cooling fans.

I have an Ampeg Portaflex heads which I like a lot. It really nails the Ampeg tone which is what many other amp makers try and achieve. I only have the 350W head though which is fine for studio work. If I were playing live allot I'd definitely want the 500W or the 800W playing with a loud drummer. This would allow allot of clean headroom and I'd avoid pushing the head into thermal shutdown, and issue all Class D heads have.

The Portaflex has over temp protection. If you push them too hard the head will shut down till it cools. I haven't had this happen because I don't push heads to that point. If I hear any breakup or distortion, I back the volume down. The head does have a built in limiter too so using it prevents transients from damaging the power amp.

Since you use an active bass your input signal is going to be allot stronger then a passive bass when the volume is cranked. I do suggest whatever head you get to have a built in limiter. You want it to have a good cooling system and thermal protection too. None of the heads you posted look like they have built in cooling fans which would be a worry for me. If you rack mount them I'd definitely add a rack mount fan, especially with the summer months coming up. Heat is a SS amp killer. Symptoms of heat damage can vary widely from distortions to shutdown. Having an amp that rated double for what you actually use and running the amp at 50% will keep the power transistors from being pushed to their max and keep you well within the temp safety range.

• Members

I use a genz benz shuttle 6.0 and have a gk mb500 in my bag as a backup (one great thing about small and light!) I have never needed the spare. I love the new light stuff. I have a 400 and an 800 GK rb series, as well as a IV pro and a V-6 that never get used because I am satisfied with the shuttle.

Archived