Carvin R1000 Stereo Bass Head

Rothstaman

• Moderators

Have you played it? Does it give you the sound you want, or something close enough? If so, then it might be a good deal. A quick glance at ebay shows the cabinet going for over $200 (though presumably with working tweeter), so the amp would be essentially free. Sounds like a deal to me, with the caveat that a rig you don't like is never a good deal.

• Members

Looks like you'd be getting $400-600 worth of gear (if the tweeter were working) for $200 based on a couple of quick glances at eBay and Reverb.com. I'd check it out very carefully--the non-functioning tweeter might not be the only issue. Not saying you can't get a deal--my SWR was just over 1/4 the price of what it had cost new and the only issue is some scuffing of the "rat fur"--but really sweet deals aren't that common. As isaac42 said, if you like the amp and you can't find any further issues, go for it.

• Members

Don't blame you. I've liked Peavey gear for years. But yeah, the Carvin head and cab would be a big upgrade if it pans out. It doesn't look like Carvin makes that HF driver any more but they should be able to recommend a replacement.

• Members

I talked to the guy and turns out the head has intermittent buzzing in the preamp. No thanks. I am not looking for a project. He did come down to $150. If I knew anything about amps, I could probably make some money on the deal, but I don"t.

• Members

Too bad about the head. I figured there was a catch. You might ask him how much he'll take for the cab by itself. If he's willing to sell the set for $150 you can probably get the cab for $100 or so. You can always find a working head for another $200, especially if you're not picky.

• Members

OTOH, "just a cab" may not do you any good now but you can buy a head. All else being equal (which it rarely is), it will take a 2:1 increase in amp power to be noticeably louder and "twice as loud" means a 10:1 increase. Your Basic 40 is running 40 Watts into a single 12" speaker. A "bigger" combo will probably be 100-150 Watts or so into a single 15" depending on the model so you may not hear much of a difference. Anything with less than 100 Watts or so isn't worth the upgrade.

• Members

I played a Carvin RL1000 Bi-amp rig for a long time. And while it is rather sterile sounding it wasn't a bad head. I generally used it with an RBI in front of it and the preamp bypassed. By the way, the ribbon cables inside that head are loose, that's what's wrong with the head. Trust me. I wouldn't buy it, but I already own several SVTs and a nice rack rig, but for that price I think you could do a lot worse.

Archived