Fairly NBD

phaeton

• Members

Via GC's Used circuit I kept trying to pick up a 'beater' passive Affinity PJ or similar, but every time I'd see one pop up for about $120, they'd IMMEDIATELY sell. One evening I watched 3 of them sell (one of which sold just before I completed my own purchase of it) in about 2 hour's time. A blue Squier VM popped up and I said "what the hell, they're supposed to be decent" and pounced on it. It showed up today. I think I like it! The P neck seems to be more comfortable than my MIM's J neck. Fender calls both of them "Modern C Shape" but I swear the Squier's is thinner and flatter.

Only $100 off of new price, but it's in excellent condition and the serial number decodes to 2015. Fit and finish seems very good. I hoped to plunk around on it a bit with the current (roundwound) strings, and then try out some flats, but the current strings are WHIPPED- filthy and dead as a doornail. Is it taboo to boil strings with or without a mild detergent?

The only thing a bit nagging is that although it's passive (and possibly a bit lighter in weight) I've pretty much just duplicated my other bass. In spite of Phil O'Keefe prodding me to return to my duplicitous gear-hoarding ways, I wonder if I should have looked at something a little different- i.e. the VM Jaguar or maybe even a Yamaha.

Meanwhile, this one's fun :D

4639e4782d3d71581b2611d7392d6b64.thumb.jpg.685ac50e580931600e4c7473549ab16a.jpg

• Members
Congratulations. Happy New Bass Day. let us know how you like it. As for boiling the strings, I've never tried it, I just buy new strings. You might want to look at d'Addario half rounds: http://www.guitarcenter.com/search?N...alf+round+bass.

Thanks!

I got some Rotosound* 77 Flats but after reading some reviews I might return them for something else. Maybe Fenders or the half-rounds you mentioned.

*I've had Entwistle's advertisements for them beaten into my head for years and years of listening to The Who Sell Out. I worry that my group might fall apart without them.

• Moderators

As for boiling strings, I've tried it, but found it to be more trouble and less effective than my method, which is to run them through the laundry with a load of clothes. I used to just stuff them inside a sock, but I've since made myself a bag from the lower leg of a worn-out pair of jeans. That way, the string ends don't poke out and poke holes in my clothes. Helps a lot, but can't ever make the strings new again.

• Members
As for boiling strings, I've tried it, but found it to be more trouble and less effective than my method, which is to run them through the laundry with a load of clothes. I used to just stuff them inside a sock, but I've since made myself a bag from the lower leg of a worn-out pair of jeans. That way, the string ends don't poke out and poke holes in my clothes. Helps a lot, but can't ever make the strings new again.

That's ingenious.

Archived