6 Classic Amps Every Bassist Should Know

WRGKMC

• Moderators

IIRC, the Bassman was never really accepted by the bass playing community. It was guitarists who made it an iconic amp, not bass players. I've owned one and played through another. They're okay, but neither thrilled me.

Sunn did indeed make some great bass gear. The 200S was lusted after by many, many bass players back in the day. Entwistle used Sunn amps for years, first tube amps, then the Coliseum series. Lots of other people used them, too. Felix Pappalardi and Noel Redding spring immediately to mind.

• Members
IIRC' date=' the Bassman was never really accepted by the bass playing community. It was guitarists who made it an iconic amp, not bass players. [/quote']

You are absolutely correct about the original Fender Bassman amp. Some of the classic blues guitarists of the '50s and '60s started using the Bassman as their guitar amp, and the rest was history. A bit later in time, the Bassman preamp and tone stack circuitry was the basis for the Mark I version of the Marshall Plexi (guitar) amp.

Otherwise, glad to see they didn't forget the original Ampeg Portaflex amp -- the bass amp that helped define the Motown sound.

• Members

You're right about the early Baseman's as being used as guitar amps but I was referring to some of the bigger 100's. There were tons of them sold and used as bass amps. Few guitarists used them. If they needed big fenders they'd usually use something like a Showman that had reverb.

You're right about the Sunn amps. I own two vintage Sunn cabs and a head and didn't even think of them. One of my Bass Players has a Model T head and single 2X15" folded horn cab. Talk about friggin loud. The head was 300W and had a warning against hearing loss on the back.

He used a Gretch bass with those black tape wound strings that sounded pretty awful. He had allot of that muted mid tone. I never got to hear that amp with a good precision but you know it would have sounded crisp and clean with a punch that would feel like standing in front of a hurricane.

I'm trying to think of some others. Like the article I'm thinking of amps that were really popular, not necessarily great.

There were some Marshall bass amps used. The Who used them with an 8X12 cab for awhile. They came up with a 4X15 cab and bass specific head for awhile. They sounded killer with a Ric but never caught on for smaller bands, likely because of the cost.

• Members
The 70s Sunn Model T amps were 150w' date=' not 300w. Of course, that's only a difference of 3dB.[/quote']

You're right. 40 years is a long time to remember details.

From what I read they came up with the design by using tow Dynaco Hi Fi power amps and building a separate preamp for them.

He used one of these cabs with it. Its probably the cab that was rated for 300W.

sunn215shfront-jpg.344104

I wish I could find another one of these. I have the single 15" with a JBL. Fantastic live cab but a single 15" doesn't quite cut it. I run the cab with others but standing directly in front of it sounds weird because of the phase shifting that occurs between a folded cab and a front speaker design.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJDO6pK73KyvnFjCzoT_D0Ry1N_YyDrI6DTF289_nlverUYyprbQ

• 1 year later...

I enjoyed reading that - thanks for posting it! :cool2:

I played through an Acoustic 360 in high school. It's the only amp on the list I used extensively... I never used a SVT regularly - the 360 / 361 was big, but the SVT is waaay too big to cart around IMHO!

Yeah' date=' the SVT was for pros who had roadies and needed to produce prodigious amounts of sound from their rigs. Same with the Sunn 2000S.[/quote']

Oh, I've seen them, and have even played through them on a few occasions and have recorded them many times - but it was always up to someone else to cart it. That's the way I like it! :lol:

• Members

They forgot these:

131782049276513105702.jpg

Here's mine:

YBA100-BBQ.jpg

I would like to add that the brilliance of the design has long been overlooked. The "heads" are really a preamp section with 4 x ganged [phone] output jacks. The bottoms contain 3x12" bass drivers and a 100 watt RMS power amp. Each cabinet has divots on the top that line up with the casters so you can stack bottoms as high as you want, plus they have output jacks so you can chain together more bottoms.

So the real deal with the Yamaha system was - want more volume/power, add more bottoms. One is loud enough to shake out your teeth, a wall would be overwhelming.

Needless to say, I keep looking for more ...

• Members

I guess I think of it as representative of a "class" of amps. The small, light big powered heads.

Heck I guess thinking that way though, I would have picked the GK MB-100 (maybe it was an mb200?) tiny combo that you could stand mount. It had a pretty big sound.

• Members

If this thread continues long enough, the list will include every amp ever made :deadhorse:

These lists are always silly. OK, start with SVT, B15 and 360 and then the list compiler adds whatever thinks should be on the list. The last three on this list to my mind are hardly "must know" amps and good luck getting your hands on a 360 these days even just to try out. I haven't seen one in use for decades.

Archived