Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you have more than one bass?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you have more than one bass?

Short survey:

How many basses do you own?

Reason(s) for owning more than one?

Just curious...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

I own three, and I'm not even a 'bass player' anymore. My first bass was a Headless Cort, fun to play but with a slightly warped neck...sold it about 4 years ago. Next bass was a Yamaha BB-GS4II or something. 4 strings with an active preamp. I found the tone way to bright for my taste, so I sold it, but now wish I still had it.

Currently own three basses:
    G&L SB-2, bought used at GC. The only American-made instrument I own. I used it for playing in a country band and do record bass tracks for a friend's home recording project.
    Ibanez Ergodyne EDB-405, bought used for $130. These basses are a little bit notorious for their "Luthite" bodies. I wanted a cheap 5 string and I got one. Typical thin Ibanez neck, plays easily. I removed the lousy "PhatII" preamp and installed an EMG 3-band preamp. My preferred bass when noodling at home.
    Aria Pro II CS-450 (Cardinal Series) "Black 'n' Gold". Also bought used. Medium scale (32" I think), set neck, single pickup. I bought it mostly because I'm a Aria/Matsomoku fanboy, but also because it was an irresistable deal. $200.
    This space left intentionally blank.

Comment

I have 4 at the moment. A Hofner, Fender Precision, A Gretch short scale and one of my own builds, with an exotic wood precision body and a Washburn neck, which is thin like a Jazz Bass.

Why do I own 4? Because I can? One of my old bass players owned around 75 basses for awhile there. It was his passion. I'm not sure he owns any since he got sick and had to sell them off.

For me, First off I do use them. I used to play out full time playing bass and now I do recordings with them all the time.

Second I didn't pay much for any of them. $200 for the Hofner new., Gretch was a wedding gift. I think I paid around $200 for the precision in 1994 and had a practice amp thrown in too. My own build cost me a whopping $30 to build.

In fact, why that bass plays and sounds better live then the others is still a mystery to me. Its OK for recording but it excels over the others playing with the bare fingers. Its a lefty neck strung right handed too.

I suspect its the headstock being backwards that makes the string lengths different that changes its feel over my Precision. The High string has a short distance between the nut and tuner and the low string has like 5" longer. Longer string means more tension and that makes the low strings tighter. I can get really fast finger picking using lighter strings without them flabbing out on me.
      Last edited by WRGKMC; 02-09-2016, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Just one, mainly because I'm primarily a guitarist.
        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
        Member of the Schecter Society
        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

I was up to 14, then down to one at one time, now I'm back up to five... mostly fender p basses, 'cause I love 'em...
          My old band: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/dragstripriot
          Gibson Les Paul junior/'67 Fender Bassman/Marshall 1965 cab/ '91 MIJ
          fender p bass/ampeg B-15S/2 15" Marshall JCM800 bass cabs

Comment

I lose count.............
            Well, I'm not sure how much I can respect any man who takes Lug seriously - King Kashue
            Sucking like that is a gift. You couldn't recognize the genius of Suck if it sat on your face and farted. -S400
            You don't fix Lug's posts. Lug's posts fix you. - MrJoshua
            You can be my HCBF boyfriend forever. - Sugarskull

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
              Phil O'Keefe commented
              Editing a comment
              You don't count!

P-bass - because everyone should have a P-bass.
            designer J-bass - it plays like a dream
            You added another useless post...who could ask for more? - BMAL
            I actually just realised what a dumb thread this is - bassaussie
            What a stupid thread. - bassaussie
            Tall Girl was everything a HCBF thread should be. - ivanthetrble
            Take care of yourself...and each other. - jerry springer

you have brave ballz of cast iron to fight the trog forces of haTE. - boy#152

and after you're finished, you say-
            Ooh, what a lovely teaparty

Comment

Eleven. Different tones, different feel, although I don't gig all of them.
              HCBF Mesa Brigade Member #2

Comment

Originally posted by ThudMaker View Post
                Eleven. Different tones, different feel, although I don't gig all of them.
                I'd love to read about what you're rockin' Thud...

Me? I've got three. Four if you count the baritone, which I really don't, but I'll throw it in anyway. An '89 Ibanez SR 1100 with roundwounds, which is my main bass (active electronics), a Rogue VB-100 violin bass strung up with flatwounds that I did a few minor mods to, and a Squier Bass VI. The Bari is a black '05 Danelectro limited edition. My main reason for multiple instruments? Different sounds and studio flexibility.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

^^ My buddy has an Ibanez. Cant remember what model. Its got a very comfortable neck for a guitarist like myself and its a lighter weight bass.
                  Pickups on it do sound rich and balanced and cover a good range of popular music while still getting allot of classic tones too. They are favored by metal bands allot.

Ibanez mass produces their instruments and many don't have the best neck woods. I consider them to be one of those instruments you buy, play the hell out of it for two to 5 years then sell it before you start having issues. Gibson Rickenbacker and others use premium woods which can be much more stable. I had an SG bass I played for 5 years and never had to tough the truss. My Buddy has had his Ibanez about 10 years or so. It was good for maybe 6 months and then its slowly started having relief issues. We'd get together every couple of months to jam and every time I'd pick it up the darn thing needs a little more tweaking. I suspect its either the grade of wood or it was kiln dried too quickly. Either way, the neck is slim and relies on the truss allot to keep it straight and like many thin necks they tend to move allot.

He bought a Jackson recently which is another metal band favorite. The neck has the same kind of fast action and an Ibanez. The quality is a bit better in the build too. Of course both companies have a wide range of instruments. I'm sure their top end models are very good but allot can be told about them from their medium and low end stuff too.

Comment

Since this is a bass guitar forum I have to say just one. A really low end Yamaha RBX360 Fender style with passive P and J pickups. It has a very even tone up and down the neck as well as across the strings. I've thought about replacing the pickups (the J is not noise cancelling) but have't yet in the 15 years since I bought the bass.

As a piano player, I also play keyboard bass and there are many options available these days, but I'm certainly no Ray Manzarek.

As a human being, you come with the whole range of inner possibilities
                    from the deepest hell to the highest states.

It is up to you which one you choose to explore

Comment

Update....I lost count +1 (wife bought me a Kala Rumbler last night!)
                      Well, I'm not sure how much I can respect any man who takes Lug seriously - King Kashue
                      Sucking like that is a gift. You couldn't recognize the genius of Suck if it sat on your face and farted. -S400

Comment

^^^ Unusual. What are the strings like. The say they are Nylgut compound with calcium carbonate. Is it just a fancy name for Nylon strings or are they actual Gut strings?

Comment

This is what I've found...

"Their special Nylgut compound includes calcium carbonate to give them increased density, stability and the ability to resonate tone at very low frequencies."

Comment

Originally posted by WRGKMC View Post
                            . . . Ibanez mass produces their instruments and many don't have the best neck woods. I consider them to be one of those instruments you buy, play the hell out of it for two to 5 years then sell it before you start having issues. Gibson Rickenbacker and others use premium woods which can be much more stable. . . .
                            My bass is a '95 Alvarez like the one below, which is hardly an upper end instrument, and it has a very stable neck. I don't know that you can generalize like that. I'm reasonably sure there are good and bad examples of Ibanez, especially at different price points.

Click image for larger version

Name:	115523
Views:	2
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	31690715
                            Last edited by DeepEnd; 02-11-2016, 10:33 PM.
                            Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                            Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                            Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                            Member of the Schecter Society
                            Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Working...
                            X