Friend wants to sell me a bass amp

WRGKMC

• Members

Got a call from a buddy of mine who plays the club circuit regularly. He says he has a Line 6 LD300 he wants to sell. (Guess he needs money for Christmas)

He said he paid $200 for it and wants $300. The list price was around $840 when they were being sold new and a street price around $500. Thing is I don't need any more bass amps and the only reason I'd buy it is to turn a profit on it.

I did some searches today found selling prices from $250 to $400. I think the higher ones were from years ago. He uses a big 1000W Peavey amp for playing live and this 300W amp just doesn't cut it for him. The price is in the range of $1 a watt which is what I usually pay for used gear but seeing they are being sold cheaper doesn't warm me up to the price. I'm not real thrilled with the brand either. Line 6 doesn't have external speaker jacks but I could team it up with another amp. It does have amp modeling and it looks to be built well.

So, I'm not sure whether I should have him bring it buy for a test or just tell him I'm not interested. He's been a friend for a good 20 years and I know he's probably strapped for cash. $300 is a bit tight for my budget this month. I could probably give him some payments on it, but I haven't been playing out live allot and the thing will likely sit. Hate to have him bring it buy just to tell him I'm not interested so telling him up front might be the best option or having him bring the price down.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimg176.imageshack.us%2Fimg176%2F140%2Flinesixld3002ij6.jpg&hash=c0287a28f4729ceed2aaf01b225f1f90

• Moderators

What I'd do in you position is to tell him I didn't need the amp, but I'd give him $X for it, X being whatever price I figure makes it probable I can make an acceptable profit. If he doesn't want to sell it for $X, he can try the market himself.

• CMS Author

yo

Good Question. How bout both.

If the $300 is a burden to you but a boon to him, then you need to decide how charitable you're willing to be.

I generally use a rule of thumb with something like this....if you need to post it to ask (relative) strangers on the internet, you probably don't really want to do it.

Archived