Most Common Size Standup Bass

MDMachiavelli

• Members

Could be, but my impression is that even classical players usually use ¾ basses.

I spent a good bit of years playing in symphony orchestra's, and have seen and played a lot of basses. 3/4 is certainly the majority, but there are a lot of full size basses out there as well. And, even though there are great basses in any size, I have to say that every full size bass I got the chance to play was just fantastic. One of my teachers had an incredible, beautiful full size, that bass just sang out and was near effortless to play. Easily the best bass I've ever played, and certainly made me sound better than I was. If I ever get back to playing upright classical bass again I will find a really nice full size. That would be absolutely enjoyable.

• Members

I spent a good bit of years playing in symphony orchestra's, and have seen and played a lot of basses. 3/4 is certainly the majority, but there are a lot of full size basses out there as well. And, even though there are great basses in any size, I have to say that every full size bass I got the chance to play was just fantastic. One of my teachers had an incredible, beautiful full size, that bass just sang out and was near effortless to play. Easily the best bass I've ever played, and certainly made me sound better than I was. If I ever get back to playing upright classical bass again I will find a really nice full size. That would be absolutely enjoyable.

Even if you are responsible for getting it from point A to point B?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Even if you are responsible for getting it from point A to point B?

They're really not much bigger than a 3/4 size, the increase is mostly in the interior volume, not outside dimensions. Still bigger, but about the same to carry and will fit in just about any car a 3/4 will fit into. I wouldn't use either for bar/band gigs though.

• Members

They're really not much bigger than a 3/4 size, the increase is mostly in the interior volume, not outside dimensions. Still bigger, but about the same to carry and will fit in just about any car a 3/4 will fit into. I wouldn't use either for bar/band gigs though.

What would you use then?

Archived