BEAD

isaac42

• Moderators

I had a spare B string about, so I restrung the Burgundyglo Ric BEAD and tried it out at a gig last night. Low B was a bit floppy, particularly as the Ric has a 33¼" scale and this band tunes down ½ step, but it sounded fine on Tom Petty's Running Down A Dream. I call the experiment a success.

Now, I might switch the BEAD strings to the Ibanez GSR 200, or just bring the Carvin LB-75 along. Sure, I can play it on a standard 4-string, but I really love those extra low notes (in this case, low D and C).

• Members

Glad the experiment worked. There are a few basses that are made and strung for BEAD. Schecter used to make one but I don't remember the model. IIRC, it had an extra long scale. The Ibanez is 34" so I don't know that you'd gain much over the Ric. I'd play around with BEAD myself but I'd need a beefier amp. I know this has been mentioned before but you might want to invest in a set of heavy core strings to stiffen the B.

• Moderators

Well, the difference between 35" to 34" and 34" to 33¼" is about the same, so I imagine I'd gain about as much. I don't have any 35" 4-strings. In fact, I don't know of any.

If I wanted to get serious about it (and could afford it) I'd get a quake.

Archived