Looks like my venture into 5 strings may be coming to an end.

isaac42

• Moderators

Lately I've been playing my Carvin LB75. It's a 5 string passive bass with stacked humbucker pickups, single coil switches and a polarity switch. As I've noted previously, I had some trouble adjusting to the tighter string spacing after decades of playing Rics. I did make the adjustment, and was getting comfortable with the Carvin, but it just doesn't sound like a Ric. don't get me wrong, it's not a bad sound at all, but it's not the sound I've become used to.

At rehearsal Thursday with the Deep Woods Band, I pulled out the Mapleglo 4001 instead of the Carvin. Bob, the bandleader, noticed.

"Are you Ricking today?"

"Yeah, I think so." I didn't mention that I'd moved the strap from the Carvin to my Ric 4004Cii for a gig with another band and forgotten to bring it back. I could have moved the strap from the 4001, but why bother?

"Good. The Ric just sounds better. Sounds more like us, if you know what I mean."

In that band, there aren't many songs we do that need any notes below low E, and not many that are easier to play with five strings, so going back to the Ric won't be much of an issue.

• Moderators

I've also been playing it in another band. We do a couple of Tom Petty songs that go low, and I think the songs sound better with the low notes instead of playing them an octave higher. The band still prefers the Ric, though.

I suppose I could just pull out the Carvin for those few songs. The guitarists are switching guitars almost every song, seems like.

• Members

Just a wild guess but I suspect you're simply more comfortable playing the Ric due to balance, neck profile, etc. and you just tend to loosen up more and play better in some subtle way. Anyway, you know better than I do that you need to play what sounds best.

• Members

I played bass professionally for decades. Always fought the 5 and 6 string things..... then bought a 6 stringer. For 2 years I struggled with it, then went to a 5 stringer. A year latter, I only have 4 strings. To me, it's just right, the way it should be with a 4 stringer.

• Moderators
Just a wild guess but I suspect you're simply more comfortable playing the Ric due to balance, neck profile, etc. and you just tend to loosen up more and play better in some subtle way. Anyway, you know better than I do that you need to play what sounds best.

Maybe. Certainly I've always been more comfortable on a Ric than on almost any other basses I've ever played, but there is also a difference in tone. It doesn't all come from the fingers!

• Moderators
It also occurs to me that you probably know the Ric well enough that you're able to dial it in by instinct, whereas that might not be true of the Carvin and the settings might turn out to be be less than ideal (just another guess).

Again, I dunno. I thought the Carvin sounded good, just not like a Ric.

• Members
Played my red Ibanez GSR 200 at tonight's rehearsal. I'm always surprised at how good that bass sounds, especially for a cheap POS. Okay, not really a POS, but definitely cheap.

A guy I used to know from work has one of those in black. I've played it, and replaced a tuner screw and set it up. Surprising for a cheap bass. They go for $200 new.

Archived