Help me identify this bass

papaschtroumpf

• Members

Local CL find, I bought the strap and got a gig bag and this bass for free :)

The neck is consistent with the original Rogue LX400 Pro bass (not the newer series III): logo, actual abalone offset fret markers, etc...

The body and bridge also seem to match the LX 400

but I can't find this pickup configuration anywhere on the net, looks like the LX400 had a HB at the bridge and a SC in the neck. The pickups look identical to some of the Ibanez ones. they fit the body cavity, so I don;t think it's a retrofit job.

I also can't find this color and black HW in the LX400 ads I've seen

fetch?id=31607230

fetch?id=31607232

fetch?id=31607234

fetch?id=31607236

• Members

The MF description for the original LX400 Pro says

• Active circuit can be bypassed if your battery fails with pull-out volume knob switch
  • Controls include volume, blend, treble boost/cut, and bass boost/cut

and it seems to be the case here (I haven't tried playing it passively but it does have a push/pull knob)

So the pickups really are the mystery.

And yes, it's missing a ferrule

I can't say for certain, but it's probably an earlier LX series model of some sort... the LX series seems to have been influenced by the Ibanez SR series basses, but don't seem to be exact clones of them. I've seen LX models with two J-Bass style single coils, as well as P/J combinations, so I know they've used different pickup configurations on different models here and there.

Sorry I couldn't offer more specific info.

• Members

Thanks!

I think "early LX series" is likely to be as close as it will get, and probably early LX400 since the bridge and neck seem to match that model specifically.

Obviously not a huge deal, I was curious but knowing what it is will not make it sound any different, and for $40 I still think I got a great deal.

• Members

Ibanez, Alembic, Schecter, Peavey, Dean Washburn and many others use nearly the identical body shape and even the extended offset neck that tapers off at an angle. I suppose its possible someone swapped necks but the build is identical to these.

It looks very similar to the LX406 6 string version front and back.

LX406a.jpg

This 2002~2003 LX405 5 string is even closer.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfr6wEJpITIt0yp5hMq2dGeuOqbSmgUuxOnzTvOTQ_enkND0o&usqp=CAE

If the numbers hold true, I'd think the 4 string version would be an LX404 but I couldn't find any listings for it.

• Members

The "modern" number for the 4-string is the LX400, not 404, so that probably was true back then too. glad you came up with those pictures of older LX40x model, it confirms I probably have an early LX400 as I suspected. That 2002 LX405 is the first one I see with the "same" pickups as mine, so I bet you I have the 4-string version of that era, the knobs are different and maybe they were replaced in that picture. It's hard to tell but the knobs in that picture appeared to be labeled 1-10 which should only apply the the volume knobs, all the other knobs are "center based" where you feel a slight click at the midpoint and turning them one way or the other does "more" or "less" of whatever it controls (e.g. pickup blend).

Thanks!

• Members

It looks to be identical to the Brice that was sold thru Rondomusic a few years ago. The bubinga top, the soapbarish pickups, the bridge, exactly the same as the Brice.

https://www.google.com/search?q=brice+6+string+bass&rlz=1T4WQIA_enUS532US532&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCgQsARqFQoTCIqt3__Ss8gCFcqlHgodGAkPIA&biw=1093&bih=471

Archived