Tubes for SVT-CL

Craig Vecchione

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators

I've never owned an Ampeg, and I'm not exactly a tone snob, so you probably shouldn't bother listening to me. On the other hand, I've owned and played through Sunn amps for years, and they also use 6550 (or KT88) power tubes. I replaced the Tung-Sol 6550s in my Model t with JJ KT88s from Eurotubes, and didn't notice any difference in the tone. I've also used JJs jn my 200S and Sentura II with good results. I imagine that they'd work equally well in your SVT-CL.

• Members

Svetlana Wing C 6550 are no longer in production and are becoming astronomically expensive. The tube store sells some but they are running out of matched sets. I don't know if you'll be able to get a matching sextet but you can check. You better get them sooner vs later because they will be gone soon.

Electro Harmonix, Sovtec, JJ and Tung-sol are your other options. JJ has always made solid long lasting tubes. It's rumored Sovtec made Svetlana Wing C 6550 so maybe their own tubes are similar. I use Electro Harmonix power tubes in my Music man but they are a different type of tube. EH tend to be a bit brighter and louder then other tubes in all the ones I've tried. I love their preamp tubes best. Don't know bout the Tung Sol. The 6550's are made in Russia and the reviews say they produce transparent Mids and Highs, something an Ampeg can benefit from with their midrange selector switch. They are the most expensive or the current production.

Back in the day I used to use RCA tubes in my V4B and V2 heads and couldn't have been more pleased with them.

KT88's are the European version and may work too. I'd compare the specs carefully though. KT88's are known as being good guitar tubes but harsher tones probably wouldn't work as well on a bass amp, and especially and ampeg which has allot of mid drive already.

• CMS Author

Interesting....am I missing something or does that listing fail to describe whether those are actually NEW tubes or not? I see the "NOS" in the title, but it appears they intentionally leave the "item condition" field blank. Hmmm...I know what NOS is supposed to mean, but seems iffy when you're paying premium bucks.

• Members

Beware, Even at $450 I wouldn't touch them. especially off Ebay.

As per the Tube Store who cleaned out the factory of all the stock available from the factory. "We’re fairly certain production of the SED Winged “C” tubes has come to an end. We have purchased as much stock as available from them that was not factory seconds. We were offered factory seconds at a lower cost however we declined. We do know these factory seconds have entered the marketplace"

I do allot of EBay buying. Tubes wouldn't be one of then for a number or reasons. Main one is there's no way to tell you how many hours are on a tube. Just like light bulbs, Tubes have a limited number of hours they can be run. Most of what you find on Ebay is used tubes being sold as new.

I'd rather spend $200 for a set of Svetlana 6550C. I'd have a warrantee and I know I'd be getting new tubes not someone's old half dead junk.

Archived