best brands for bass amp head

customdrum

• Members

Im still a newbie on bass and bass amps but what are the best or most dependable brands out of these brands, im looking to get a 250+ watt head and theres a few names out there i have never heard of, i have always heard ampeg and hartke are decent brands but are these other brands better or worse? more or less which ones should i stay away from lol

Hartke HA Series HA2500

TC Electronic BH250 250W Bass Amp Head

TC Electronic BH500 500W Bass Amp Head

Markbass Blackline Little Mark 250 250W Bass Amp H...

Eden E300 300W Bass Amp Head

Acoustic B300H 300W Bass Amp Head

trace elliot gp 7 sm 300

gallien krueger

• Members

Ampeg is pretty much the standard for bass amplification. Personally, I'm leery of the "toneprint" feature on TC Electronic amps; it seems like a gimmick to me. The BH500 doesn't seem to have it, which is a plus in my book. I'll let someone else comment further but AFAIK Markbass and Eden are both good bets.

• Members

Nothing wrong with Peavey gear. I've been a Peavey fan for years. Popular doesn't mean "good." Granted, it's not the "best" as far as bass amplification but it's good gear that won't break the bank. You could probably do a lot worse than the MiniMAX http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-minimax-500w-bass-amp-head. Fender makes decent bass amps as well. The Rumble 500 should serve you well: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-rumble-500w-bass-amp-head.

• Members

I love owning a kickback for small gigs and rehearsals. (Also makes a viable emergency monitor.) Not the best choice for large stuff, but you can always run through the PA. (The built in DI works just fine.) That said, my favorite amp is an Ampeg Port-a-flex with 2x10" speakers. I have a 4x10" Sunn cabinet for extra juice. (300 watts at 8 ohms and 500 watts at 4 ohms.) I don't really like loud, so I only bring the Sunn cabinet out for outdoor gigs.

• Members

My buddy tours with a Higher end Peavey head. Its a dual output that lets you run in a crossover mode for High and Low frequencies and adjust the volume for the sub can or the mid/high cabs. Its a thunderous sounding SS head. The high end Peavey stuff is very well built in comparison to their medium and budget end stuff.

The big fad now is Class D bass amps. Many manufacturers have switched to them because you get allot of power from a very light weight head. I bought one of the Ampeg Portaflex heads myself for under $200 barely used in its original box.

Its funny how I got it too. I bought a Fender head for $50, refurbished it and sold it to a friend for $150, then bought the Portaflex for $180. In reality I paid $80 for a new Portaflex.

I think the wattage rating is exaggerated though. Its supposed to be 350W but I suspect that's under lab conditions. The real wattage under actual working conditions is likely lower and compared to a tube amp, allot lower.

I'm thinking about selling the 350W and upgrading to the 500W version. There's a number of reasons for this. The head has switchable mid frequencies, Some additional ins and outs I need, and it has the additional power I need to drive the cabinets I have. If I can get $250 for the one I have now then put out another $50 for the 500W it means I only needed to pay $130 total out of pocket.

• Members

What ever happened to Trace Elliot Bass amps. I don't see them being advertised any more. My buddy had a small one with a single 10" and it kicked butt. I always wanted to try some of their bigger stuff but never had a chance.

• Members
What ever happened to Trace Elliot Bass amps. . . .

They're still around. In fact, Guitar Center carries their stuff: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Trace-Elliot,Bass-Amplifiers-Amplifiers,New-Gear.gc?ipp=25. 'Way too rich for my blood but the OP might be able to find something used. He mentioned the Trace Elliot GP7-SM 300, which isn't a current model.

• Members

I've recently invested in a TC Electronic BG250 with 2 10's, and have no problems with the Toneprint feature. Loud enough to keep up with three guitars, drums, and a couple loud singers. Saves me from lugging around the head/4x10/pedal board. If you're just getting the head, then I'd recommend taking a look at the BH550, not the 500 or the 250.

I still have an Acoustic B600H and the 4x10. It's OK, but I've had the head replaced under warranty, and I understand that it's common.

• Members

thanks for the replays!

was leaning towards the ampeg or hartke since there a little cheaper than most others and ended up finding a ampeg 350 portaflex for 190 shipped new so it was a good price and better than me buying something 10 years old just to save some money.

• Members

The TC Toneprint feature is not a cheap gimmick, it is a tool. You can choose not to use it, of course, but I like having it. I have often gigged with the BH250 through a Phil Jones 6x5 neo cab, and I have never had a problem with being heard clearly.

One amp brand you might want to put on your list is Carvin. I got the BX500 recently -- at 10% off it was a great value, and it can do something few other amps can do, that is drive a 2 ohm load. That means if you have two 4-ohm cabs, you can use both of them.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Eden,in my opinion is a top notch product. I had a World Traveler 550(I believe it was a 550,could be wrong) that I bought in a pawnshop for $500. Never gave me any trouble and worked great with my 5 string. The one I had was digital,but I'm fine with that. Eden isn't for every style,but I'd recommend giving it a try.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
What ever happened to Trace Elliot Bass amps. I don't see them being advertised any more. My buddy had a small one with a single 10" and it kicked butt. I always wanted to try some of their bigger stuff but never had a chance.

I have a trace Elliot v-6 and it is pretty nice.

I've owned / regularly used bass amps from SWR, Fender, Trace Elliot, Peavey and Acoustic, and never had any significant issues with any of them. All of the brands on your list are reputable and decent - the trick is to find one with the features that you want and need, and that has a sound that appeals to you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm not sure if there is a best, but there are many good ones out there, depending on what tones and colors you like. I have tried many, but nothing in recent years, as I am very happy with what I am using.

Mesa - I love many of there guitar amps, but personally I didn't care for there bass amp line up. They in general are a great company to deal with and really take care of there customers.

Ampeg- They now build there amps in Vietnam. I have seen many of the older ones still gracing the stages at venues. A buddy of mine bought his SVT 100 and a Rickenbacker 4001 back in 1976 in Jr High and it's all he has ever used. The SVT is killer, but be prepared to retube it now and then. That will set you back a bit. Lets not forget the classic B flip tops stuff. What would the Motown sound be without these amps. The good news is they are back, but in a slightly different form. You don't need 300 watts of power in a studio.

Eden amps - Really nice clean stuff without much color. If you love the sound of your bass guitar, this might be just what you are looking for. I believe Dave Nordschow ran the company and now runs DNA. Eden I think all some how owned by Marshall, but still made in the USA. DNA should be worth looking into, if they are like the Eden amps.

SWR is gone and a lot of folks loved em. They are owned by Fender, but like I said are gone. I have one of there old Cal Blondes, which was made for acoustic bass, but acoustic guitars sound pretty good through them

Trace- UK made, owned by Gibson for while, now manufactured in the USA under Peavey. I'm not a big fan of all the sliders on the tone control. That my problem not Trace. It sounds good, once you get the right eq setting.

Ashdown - Made in the UK by the same guys that once brought you Trace Elliot amps. Some of the stuff is made in China, but the good stuff is made in the UK. I have used one for years. I heard about them when John Entwistle and The Edge were switching over. Both were life long Ampeg users too. They have hybrids, full tube amps and many others to choose from. Sound kind of like an Ampeg at times, but they do much more.

Aguilar - really nice stiff. The DB751 is as classic as Ampeg's SVT, imo.

Sunn - Now owned by Fender. There stuff was amazing. Fender was doing a rebadge of them a while back, but there are now pushing Super Bassman amps. They do a great job with 300 watts of tube power.

Markbass - I've only seen em on stages, but have never played through one. They should be good.

Harke - It didn't take long to figure out they were not for me. A young that was waiting to try the amp after me, was totally digging it and it was in his price range too.

Part of your bass sound is a mix. Your bass guitar, your amp, your speaker selection and your god given talent through countless hours of practice and gigging.

So choose your battles when choosing bass gear. Don't forget you might need to lift in all in you car or van at 3 am after 4 hours hours of playing. You'll want friends to lift an 80 lb SVT 300 and there 8X10 cab.:D Weight can be a factors, as well as size.

Your will also remember the day you threw your back out. That memory should be etched in your brain like your birthday or your wedding anniversary. Don't forget it, is all I am saying.

I ended up in PT for 8 weeks with my back, and I wasn't even lifting anything heavy.

Lets not forget the classic B flip tops stuff. What would the Motown sound be without these amps. The good news is they are back, but in a slightly different form. You don't need 300 watts of power in a studio.

That's very true. I have a small SWR combo that, along with running direct through a tube preamp, is all I need for studio use.

So choose your battles when choosing bass gear. Don't forget you might need to lift in all in you car or van at 3 am after 4 hours hours of playing. You'll want friends to lift an 80 lb SVT 300 and there 8X10 cab.biggrin.gif Weight can be a factors, as well as size.

That's SO true - and another reason for going with a smaller, more compact rig - assuming it has enough amp power and speaker efficiency for the gig at hand, or can be used with PA support - which is what I'd do if I owned one of the Ampeg Portaflex PF-50t's I recently reviewed. Killer sounding head, but a bit underpowered for some gigs IMHO... but not if you can also run it through the PA or a second power amp.

Great post Mikeo - nice overview of the different brands! cool.gif

• 1 month later...

Archived