Can anyone help me repair Ampeg b-100r power cable

dselevan

• Members

Hello - At some point 2 of the clips that hold the power cord in my b-100r got pulled out on the way to a gig, and I never got around to fixing the amp. I opened up the back of the amp and it seems like they just need to get plugged back in. I looked at the schematics but still not clear what tabs to plug those wires into. Is there anyone who has one of these amps who can send a photo or something?

• Members

I can probably help you but not without pics.

On newer gear AC wires are usually color coded, black and white and any kind of clips should be different sizes so you don't get things reversed accidentally.

The hot wire is Black, White is Neutral and Green is ground.

The Black should go to the smaller post, the Neutral to the larger post and green is the center frame ground.

The Black should also go through a switch, power fuse and Power transformer. The white may also go through the switch but not to a fuse.

The only possibility is you get the White and black swapped around. To be sure you haven't you can use a multimeter to test it.

you set the meter for 120Vac and put the probe on ground and the chassis. If the wiring is backwards, the amp may work but you'll read 120V off the chassis between chassis and the ground lug. If its right, you should read zero or less then 1Vac.

I may be able to help more with detailed pics. I haven't seen inside one of those amps so I have no idea what you pulled out. I'm guessing its inside the chassis. The AC wiring is pretty simple on all amps, I just don't want you to get it backwards and wind up with a live chassis that will shock you.

Archived