RIP - Chris Squire

thelurker

• Members

According to my Facebook page, following Fish (Marillion) -<I> there is a dark cloud over us all today:-(

I've just heard that Chris Squire has passed away.There was a post on Billy Sherwood's page that was soon removed and I hoped it was a hack. However both John Wetton and Geoff Downes tweeted to confirm we have lost him.

I first saw him on stage at the Edinburgh Usher Hall back in 1975. It was my very first concert and I was catching my then favorite band. I admit to being so impressed with the big guy on bass that It played a big part when I welcomed the suggestion from friends to adopt his nickname. It was a bit embarrassing when we first met backstage in L.A. when I was on an American tour with Marillion. "Fish meet Fish" being the introduction.</I>

Squire was certainly an influential bass player to me, sad to hear.

• Members

Read about the diagnosis last month (mid-May). From what I read then, it was obvious that it was serious, and at the time figured he had 90 days to beat it or else. I honestly didn't believe he would succumb to it in about 5 weeks! In fact, now I'm wondering if it was the treatment that killed him. RIP.

• Members

In memory of Chris I've been listening to a lot of YES. Just got the Progeny 2 CD highlights of shows from 1972 and listening on my ipod to all of their 70s albums.

Also ordered 9012Live CD and DVD to re-live the only time I saw Yes during their tour supporting 90125 and their massive hit Owner Of a Lonely Heart. Great band too only missing Steve Howe, Jon Anderson, Chris Squire, Tony Kaye their original keyboardist, Alan White who began drumming with Yes on the 1972 tour and Trevor Rabin. Great night at the Cow Palace .

I remember getting Yessongs when it came out and it was my favorite Yes album.

It is still mind boggling that Joan Jett is in the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame and Yes are not. The hall at this point has lost all credibility. Flat out a joke.

Rest in peace to one of rock's greatest bass players.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived