Did some work on my Rickenbacker 4004Cii

isaac42

• Moderators

The 4004Cii is the green bass the guys in one of my bands insisted I keep. I've been playing it in that band, but I haven't been as pleased as I might be with the tone. In particular, the bridge pickup by itself sounded thin and weak. Pretty much useless. Didn't seem right, especially as I was pretty sure that the neck and bridge were the same model. I made some inquiries, and everyone said that it shouldn't be that way. So I started investigating.

The pickups are indeed identical, so their sounds should be similar, different only by virtue of their placement. Obviously, that wasn't what I was getting. Resistance measurements showed me that the bridge pickup was open. Amazing that I was getting any sound out of it at all! However, on a 4004Cii, the pickups are Rickenbacker HB1 humbucking pickups, so of course they have two coils. Further investigation showed that one coil was open, but the other was intact. So I did a little soldering, and now I have a single coil pickup in the bridge position and a humbucker in the neck. I expect I'll switch them out eventually, at least to see how that changes the sound, but for now, I'm going to be happy with it as it is and enjoy having a functional pickup in the bridge position.

• Moderators

Seems okay so far. No gigs on the schedule this weekend or next, and the real test is how it sounds on stage, so we'll see, no later than 5 June.

I really suspect that having the single coil in the neck position will be the better option.

• Moderators
Were those the pickups you were messing with the magnets in awhile back?

Nope. That was the Mapleglo 4001. The reason for messing with that one was to make the two single coil pickups into a humbucking pair, much like a Jazz bass. The 4004Cii comes with humbucking pickups, which was why I was able to run one of them single coil.

• Moderators

Hellz Yes!

Sounded great. Amazing definition in the tone that just wasn't there before. Maybe too much. I'll play it for a week or two, maybe three, then switch out the pickups, putting the single coil in the neck position and vice versa, and see how that goes.

• Moderators

Bass sounded great last night. Much better than before. Soloing the bridge pickup was useful, used it in a couple of songs, but it was not as loud as the neck pickup or both in parallel, so I need to find a way to adjust the balance. Not a lot of adjustment for pickup height on these basses, but I'll do what I can. I'm still thinking that switching the pups will be a good thing.

• Moderators

Another thought occurred to me. I could rewire the neck humbucker in parallel instead of in series. That would reduce the output, and might brighten the sound a bit. Should balance better with the bridge single coil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Rehearsal was canceled last night, so I had some free time.

I decided to go ahead and wire the neck pickup in parallel. I also put in a switch to allow both single coil and humbucking operation. Worked great! The bass is much brighter now.

The odd thing is that I couldn't hear any difference between HB and SC operation. So here's what I'm thinking. Two virtually identical pickups (the two coils of the HB) in almost exactly the same position on the bass really ought to sound almost exactly the same. In parallel, the output impedance is lowered, but the output voltages don't add together as they do in series. So I guess it makes sense that it sounds the same either way. Still, it should be a useful mod. In SC mode, the two pickups form a HB pair. When the neck pickup is soloed, I can put it into HB mode by itself.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying it out in rehearsal and at a gig.

• Members
Rehearsal was canceled last night, so I had some free time.

I decided to go ahead and wire the neck pickup in parallel. I also put in a switch to allow both single coil and humbucking operation. Worked great! The bass is much brighter now.

The odd thing is that I couldn't hear any difference between HB and SC operation. So here's what I'm thinking. Two virtually identical pickups (the two coils of the HB) in almost exactly the same position on the bass really ought to sound almost exactly the same. In parallel, the output impedance is lowered, but the output voltages don't add together as they do in series. So I guess it makes sense that it sounds the same either way. Still, it should be a useful mod. In SC mode, the two pickups form a HB pair. When the neck pickup is soloed, I can put it into HB mode by itself.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying it out in rehearsal and at a gig.

Seems odd. When I go from SC to HB on one of my G&L's pups, it's a significant difference in tone.

• Moderators

It seemed odd to me, too, but I checked the resistance, and it's definitely making the change. Maybe your G&L is going from SC to series HB? This pickup sounded considerably different when it was running in series.

• Members
...so I need to find a way to adjust the balance. Not a lot of adjustment for pickup height ...

Might be able to make a "gasket" to fit under the pickup(s) on the green monster, in order to raise them a few millimetres as required.

GreenRic4004cii.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Had to make a few tone adjustments. The neck pickup is much less bassy now than it was. But the balance between the two pickups is much better, and the tonal differences between the pickups and the two combined are useful but not too extreme. Still no perceptible difference between single coil and parallel humbucking on the neck pickup.

So the bass is useful, with more tonal choices than it had before I started working on it. I may still switch the pickups, putting the humbucker in the bridge position and wiring it for series operation again. That would give me one or two more tonal possibilities. But not today. I have another gig tonight, anyway.

Archived