Thumb rest for Rickenbacker 4001

isaac42

• Moderators

At the studio yesterday, it occurred to me that one of the ebony piano keys pulled off of a derelict piano would make a nice thumb rest for my Mapleglo 4001. Sadly, they weren't quite long enough. But Bob, our bandleader, said it'd be a piece of cake to glue two of them together to make one longer one. Work in progress, details to follow, but I'll go into more depth on the DIY page.

• Members

I put a thumb rest on my Precision. I bought one of those cheap plastic ones for a buck which is all I needed. The darn thing was too high however. If I put my thumb on the upper corner I had a hard time getting to the strings so I simply too it off and used a piece of sand paper to take the bottom down till it was about half the height. It worked like a champ.. Many of the older precisions came with a wooden one. Maybe they quit putting them on because they had the same problem I did with them being too tall. Its not like you need it to pry open a can. Its mainly there to position your hand so its always in an optimal place.

• Moderators

Yes, but the idea was to make one that wouldn't require modifying the Ric in any permanent way. No new holes. The pick guard holes we're going to use to mount it are 3.3" apart, center to center, so 2" isn't close to being long enough. The ebonies are about 3.5" long (the one I just measured was slightly less), and the tip is tapered such that the top is less than 3⅜". Not quite long enough.

• Moderators

Well, it's on. Doesn't look all that good, due to the angle made necessary by using the original pick guard screw holes. It'll take some getting used to before I decide whether or not I really like it.

• Members
Well' date=' it's on. Doesn't look all that good, due to the angle made necessary by using the original pick guard screw holes. It'll take some getting used to before I decide whether or not I really like it.[/quote']

I played around with Paint and I'm assuming it looks a bit like this?

fetch?id=31484822

• Members

I didn't expect to produce a perfect match, especially using a random Internet pic of a 4001, but yeah, I got pretty close. I figured you'd make it pretty much line up with the edges of the pickguard, which is why my mockup is shorter. Anyway, it looks okay to me and there were no mods to your bass, which is a plus. Good luck with it. Maybe your friend could sell them on eBay.

Archived