2 String Bass From Sandberg

Chip Stewart

• Members

Sandberg recently introduced a 2 string bass using just the E and the A strings ( http://www.bassplayer.com/basses/1165/sandberg-introduces-their-new-2-string-bass-series/51843 ). I personally do not understand the logic of this. 3 strings are required in order to play a full scale without changing position. Playing bass in a folk band, I rarely use the G string but use the E, A, and D strings pretty much equally. If they had introduced a 3 string bass I would understand the logic behind it. I would still stick to my trusty 4 string, but at least I would understand the thinking behind it. I don't get a 2 string bass at all.

• Members

I'm puzzled as well. You'd be doing a fair amount of moving around to hit all the notes. Also a bit surprised that a two string bass would have three controls. If minimalism is the goal, why not just volume and tone or just a volume control? A three string, maybe with a Hipshot Bass Xtender tuner for the low E, with a single pickup and just a volume control, yeah, I could understand that. I might even enjoy playing one.

• Members

Its basically a two string washtub bass. You can probably play some bluegrass stuff or Mexican polka stuff which is all two notes per position but you can do that on a 4 string just as well.

Archived