Small combo with fx loop?

Hank Lady

• Members

I'm assuming you're talking about a bass amp. My SWR LA12 has an effects loop. 60 Watts, 1X12. Unfortunately, they don't make them any more but you can occasionally find them used.

The Hartke HD75 (75 Watts, 1x12) has an efects loop: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hartke-HD75-75w-1x12-Bass-Guitar-Combo-110179702-i3694743.gc.

The Kustom KX100 does as well but it's 100 Watts 1X15, possibly more amp than you want: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kustom-KXB100-100W-1x15-Bass-Combo-Amp-H67948-i1597730.gc

• Members

Low end combos don't seem to have the loops. You'd figure a bass player would just use the amp for practicing his riffs so he doesn't have to set up his big stuff. Not many bass players so use effects to begin with, especially time based effects like reverb or echo which sound awful on bass. Chorus can sound OK, EQ, Comps and limiters are often used. If you need to run a Looper then going in the front is probably your best option on a small amp. Maybe find a small Guitar combo amp with an effects loop. It will sound like crap for bass because its not voiced for bass. Don't know if the looper would sound better that way or just putting it in front of a decent bass amp combo.

The smallest combo I could find with an loop was a Behringer http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BX1800 Its 180W and has a 15" speaker.

The Peavey mas is the next one up from there. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MAX112V2

You can get better deals on heads that have loops and just buy the cab separate.

Even my Ampeg Portaflex has a loop. They are the original combos even though you had to flip the head and lock it back in. Its designed to be installed in the piggy back 1/15 or 2X10 cab in place of the old flip top tube amps and a fraction of the cost.

They sound great too. I picked up a 350W version used for $150 and it easily drives my EX cab with an 18" & 2X10" JBL's It can be turned down to a whisper and still sound good too. (I have a mini cab with an 8" I can plug it in and turn it down to very low levels too). It only weighs a few pounds which is the best part. I could throw that head in a small computer bag and carry it with one finger.

Class D heads are all over the place now because they are low cost, highly efficient and ultra light weight.

Your inexpensive lower wattage SS combos just don't have the loop because of the cost factor. Many bass players may not use them even if they do have them. Its better and less expensive to just buy an amp that's has sufficient power to sound good then to try and juice something inadequate using the loop.

If you just need a low wattage practice amp then a Guitar amp may do.

• Members

I already have a small guitar amp.. a 1 watt randall diavlo tube amp. So I want a small bass rig to pair with it. Reason for looper is to loop a cool bass riff and drums thru bass rig.. then go to my main instrument guitar and play with tha bass and drums. Like a one man band in the corner of my bedroom. Lol.

Now with my guitar amp the looper works best in fx loop. So I just assumed it works best with bass but maybe in front would be just fine...

So what's some good small combo bass amps in the volume range of a 1 watt tube amp? I play any thing from blue grass to technical death metal :)

• Members

If that's the case, you should really focus on buying and interface and setting up a daw. You can buy an interface for less then $50. Lexicon makes one that comes with Cubase even. Reaper is free to use too. Then you can just track the parts you want to play along to. You wont have to be stuck in a loop so they say. There are plenty of free drum loop programs too.

You can loop the tracks playback too if that's your thing. You can also cut and paste audio parts as easily as you can cut and past words typing on this forum.

Then if you want to play along to the recording, you simply run the interface output into your guitar amp, or just play through your monitors. You can even download Guitar Rig Free and dial up so different guitar amp types.

• Members

Yes sir I have all I need already to record and love doing it. But I I like jamming in my bedroom to a looper.. quick easy fun... my rc3 can loop like an hour worth of playing if ya want. It so much fun and has helped me learn scales by ear and become better player. I recommend every guitar player have one for practice.

Archived