Ballpark asking prices

OhioPest

• Members

I am looking to sell these items and was wondering what I might expect and where I should be with an asking prce

Vintage Hofner bass model 189? Made sometime between the early 70s or 80s

Yamaha bass model rbx250f needs restrung have strings as well.

Vintage fender bassman 10 tube amp

cb65450a3d2b0ef805cd88540583127b.thumb.jpg.60f1ab8f76a9b12e85454dc56d1a691e.jpg

fdf7fae85a89db041c04760d0d99432f.thumb.jpg.11de9e1df2154cd2ba0502f1a51d4ce9.jpg

a630fb35337497d781912fd8137fd1af.jpg.66c523f86a64d68f7b1e9dd1ddc26911.jpg

• Members

I checked eBay on your behalf. No listings for the Hofner 189. In fact, I couldn't find much at all anywhere. The RBX250 (without the "F") has gone for about $70-150 without case, presumably in playable condition. The Bassman 10 has sold for $450-650 in excellent condition.

• Members

The Hoffner is a rare bird so it may be a sleeper worth allot of money. I did see a 184 selling for around $400 and a 187 selling for $1000+

One site said it was a laminate body (plywood) and were thought to be orient built beginner bases. If that's the case they may be lower in price depending on the condition. I'd have to see it in hand to give you any better ideas on a price. The quality of the build is the biggest deal. If its a cheap copy of a fender I wouldn't think it being worth as much as a quality build, but guitars sell for what you can get for them. You may just want to put a $500 tag on there and see if you get any bites.

The Silverface Bassman 10 may vary in price depending on the version. They made that amp for 10 years starting with blackface, switching to silver faced, then CBS stuck super linear transformers in them and increased the wattage. The amps are in demand (by guitarists more then bassists) because that can be hot rodded into a killer amp. Opened backed amps for bass players was OK in the 50's but speakers would flap too easily for most bassists. Maybe someone who plays bass and guitar might be OK. I'd take that thing, put guitar speakers in it, redo the tone stack, make sure the tubes were hood and have a great portable amp. They seem to be selling in the $400~$600 ranges depending on the condition. The version will be a factor as well as the speakers. You can Google up a ton of info on them though.

The Yamaha bass may be worth a couple of hundred depending on its condition but it is a budget model and the prices I was seeing were less then $100. The pic looks like its a fretted model. The RBX250F models I was seeing were fretless basses which might make them worth a little moare but the fretless bass market is much smaller for beginner bass players so $75~150 still may be a realistic price. .

• Members

the Höfner in good all original condition would fetch around 250$ to 500$ for a mint one at this side of the pond.

But Höfners are not really that rare in Europe, still a lot of these floating around.

Anyway, it seems that the original bridge cover is missing and replaced by the bridge pickup cover instead.

Archived