Fender Mustang

mildbill

• Members

Just got one of these.

Posted over at that 'other bass forum' about it, but that place is as fast as this place is slow.

I'm buzzed about it though. I've been wanting one of these since I started playing, but being a mediocre player I didn't think I could justify the cost.

My other basses have all been under $200. This is my 7th bass.

I know all about the perceived downsides to this bass, but still feel it's the right one for me.

Anyways, here she is:

fetch?id=31331530&type=medium

• Members

Mustang basses can be allot of fun to play and allot lighter then a precision. Good choice if you have smaller hands. I use my Gretch short scale all the time over my full sized precision just for speed and comfort.

I'd say the only downside might be the limited tones from the pickups. You may at some later date try some other pickups. Seymour and Nordstrand make some decent ones.

http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/mustang-bass/

http://www.bassramblings.com/2010/12/30/review-nordstrand-nm4-mustang-bass-pickups/

I'd also suggest you put in a series parallel switch. I put one in my Precision and it makes a huge difference for tonal options. It will switch from a normal thin tone to a deeper louder tone.

• Members

You have to take the neck off to adjust the truss rod.

Replacement pickups are hard to find, because of the different size/shape.

Like you though, I also really like the sound of these pickups.

I wouldn't consider changing them unless something were to go wrong with them.

I've heard a couple people say the neck is too short, but to me, it feels just right.

I guess there's a limited selection of strings for it.

Some people say the string through body bridge makes it hard to find strings - standard

short scale strings are too short, and standard size strings are too long.

But none of that matters to me. It feels great to play.

• Members

The notion of replacing the pickup implies that there's something wrong with the stock one. As long as you like the sound you're getting, there isn't. As for the truss rod adjustment, yes, that's an issue but fortunately, you shouldn't need to adjust it very often.

• Members

The neck is supposed to be short. It is a short scale bass. Just like the Musicmaster bass. If it wasn't short then it would be a standard scale bass. Strings aren't hard to find. I use normal scale strings on my vintage Mustang. Being a string through design does not allow for short scale strings but regular strings work fine. I use flats on mine. I also have a Gibson SG Standard bass that is short scale but not string through. Taking the neck off to adjust the truss rod is not a problem for anyone who has owned a vintage Fender or even a Vintage Reissue Fender. There are replacement pickups out there for the Fender Mustang. You just have to look for them. I don't see any reason why you would want to change them. I had a reissue Mustang (CIJ), but didn't like it as much as my 1968. I even restored the string mutes on my 68. Mine also has the "lolliepop" tuners. Great bass.

• Members

Hmmm, my old Musicmaster is in pieces downstaris, awaiting a rebuild - anyone know where one can get a decent bridge with spacing that narrow? (The original can't even intonate strings independently, and is about as massive as a candy bar wrapper.)

• Members

...The neck is supposed to be short. It is a short scale bass. Just like the Musicmaster bass. If it wasn't short then it would be a standard scale bass.....

You probably know this hsech, but I'll try to be short in explaining what I think those comments by others about a short neck meant, for anyone else who might read this.

I've had six short scale basses, and while 5 of them had 30" scale, they all had different length fretboards and feel to them.

There's also several other factors that may have come into play for the comments about the Mustang's neck being too short.

The scale refers to the distance between the nut and the point of contact at the saddle.

The length of the neck is the distance from the nut to the end of the fretboard.

Of the 3 short scales I have now, the length of the fretboard on the Mustang is 20 and 1/2" inches. My Jaguar SS is 21", and my Cort action Jr. is 22".

Two of the main factors that can determine what neck length feels like is how much of the body is filled in at the lower horn, and how many frets there are.

The Mustang has a lot of body at the lower horn and has 19 frets: http://www.fender.com/basses/mustang/

So as you move your left hand up the board, you start to hit the body at between the 15th and 16th frets.

The Jaguar SS has a truncated lower horn, your hand won't contact the body till the 17th fret, and the board itself is 1/2" longer, so it feels a tiny bit more spacious. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JagBsVMSSCar

The Cort has the longest fretboard, 22 frets, and your hand doesn't contact the body until the 19th fret. http://www.cortguitars.com/en/product/action-junior

It's a kind of homely looking bass, but if you like to play high up the neck, it's a real pleasure.

All 3 of my current basses are 30" short scales, but they all feel and play very differently.

I have no problem with the neck of the Mustang. It's one of the nicest feeling necks I've tried.

I can see where someone would think the neck is a little short if they're used to playing short scales with a longer fretboard, or more frets though.

It's not ideal if you like to play fairly high up on the board. But if you're mainly concerned with holding down the bottom end, it's the cat's ass.

• Members

The biggest issue you have is getting strings that play well with the short scale bases. They only make so many sets and using long scale strings don't work out very well. They really aren't designed for short scale tones and trying to wrap them on the pegs usually snaps the strings because there is no tapered string wind like you have with normal short scale strings. I have gotten long scale strings on my short scale but its is very risky.

I'm not real fond of some of the short scale sets which are often thin strings as well. I like a bigger tone and finding that in short scale isn't always possible. I found by trimming down the long scale, then gently bending the string at a right angle first then putting some CA on the winds at the bend will help prevent the core wire from fracturing. Otherwise I do find a few sets can make a short scale match a long scale in tone pretty good. They just don't sustain as line because there is less string tension.

• Members
Hmmm' date=' my old Musicmaster is in pieces downstaris, awaiting a rebuild - anyone know where one can get a decent bridge with spacing that narrow? (The original can't even intonate strings independently, and is about as massive as a candy bar wrapper.) [/quote']

Here's a link to modding a Bronco (basically the updated Musicmaster), describing alternate bridges, pickups, tuners and strings:

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42850

Honeyiscool - hope you don't mind my linking to your post.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ya - I'll do that. These have been recommended a lot: http://www.bassstringsonline.com/La-...et_p_1036.html

It's a string thru body, so it's supposed to have medium scale.

In the mean time though, I'm using long scale flats.

I've had them on my short scale Jaguar for a couple years and haven't run into any problems with them.

I had a spare set and put them on the Mustang. Didn't run into any snags, they sound good, and they feel much better on my fingers.

Still lovin' the Mustang, but it seems a little costly compared to what else is out there.

It's the one I really wanted though, so no buyer's remorse.

I think Fender's really missing the short scale boat though. AFAIK, they've only got the Mustang and the new Rascal. Some other company's really getting the business.

The Squier line has the Jaguar SS (selling like hotcakes), and the Bronco. I checked on the very inexpensive Bronco to try a modding project, but currently they're backordered.

• Members

Probably not.

Parents looking to buy a christmas or birthday present for a youngster interested in bass would probably consider a short scale first.

People who play another instrument, specifically guitar, usually consider a short scale.

Some, such as myself, only play short scales.

A lot of bass players turn their noses up a them, but a lot also consider having at least one, if only for something different.

In the grand scheme of things though - no - probably not a huge market.

• Members

If you play both guitar and bass its a good thing to have. When I played long scale bass full time I began to loose allot of my playing speed on guitar leads. I account this to bass being more like how a weight lifter builds up his muscles vs a guitar player which is much more aerobic. I can switch to a short scale bass and have fewer issues with it effecting my guitar playing. It takes about the same toll on my hands as playing chords on a guitar for long periods. Playing long scale my hands wind up being over muscular and I wind up using too much pressure on guitar strings. Getting back up to speed on guitar takes allot more warm up time and requires shedding the heavy as lead feeling that's collected in my fingers.

• Moderators

No but turning away business doesn't make sense either.

A lot of companies do, though, if a market is too small to make a difference in their company. Even profitable divisions are closed, sold or spun off if they don't make enough money to matter.

• Members

Steinberger double ball strings are hard to find too, for both bass and guitar. LaBella makes most of them. Luckily they make good strings so being limited to a particular brand isn't bad, but it also allows them to raise the price way up. They used to cost about $4 a set for guitar and now they cost $8. The only competition they have is D'Addario which charges $11 and they suck in comparison. There's allot to say about competition keeping the prices down, but on unique items, you have a monopoly and can charge whatever you want. Luckily Steinberger did make a locking adaptor that fits on the end of the headstock so you can use any strings. It just defeats the purpose of having double balls to begin with.

Archived