Good hip hop/rap songs with good bass?

Ashley1!

• Members

I'm not into that music much, but many of those recordings don't even use a bass guitarists. Its often done synthetically with a keyboard, midi or samples. Same with the drums. Most are all drum machines or samples. If a bass is used you'd likely want a 5 string with a bunch of compression to match so you can get those ultra lows to match the kick.

As far as songs with allot of bass, you'd better off checking the top 100 rap charts and asking people who just listen to that music. Maybe a DJ would be a good option because they program that music fro their audiences. Most of the bass you hear does comes from the heavy kick drum samples tuned to a low pitch and has the bass triggered off the same sequencer.

Maybe there are some bass players who do know that genre well, but it would be unusual for them to play it. Just because a song has allot of bass doesn't mean there's an artistic bass player in back of it recording or performing that music, and if you don't play the music, there's less chance you'd know that artists recordings.

Rap is more like karaoke where the only live musician is a singer. Done live its more like singing with a DJ who triggers samples with a sequencer or maybe adds to a computerized sequence. Many of the songs have no chord patterns so you don't even need to be a musician (or much or a singer) to compose it. That's probably why I cant name one live rap bands because they rarely use live musicians. (and don't have to pay them to perform live either)

The bass parts on those songs are ultra boring and monotonous to play too. Not much of a challenge for a real bass player. It would be like asking a drummer, "what's your favorite fake drum machine recording" Most drummers hate drum machines because it puts them out of a job. Some can tolerate an electric drum set, because they do get played.

So, Maybe someone here who likes rap and just happens to play bass can rattle off a few suggestions. I think You'd get better answers in any numbers of other forums however. Like I said, actual Music forums that focus on rap. Maybe DJ, Keyboard, or Singers forums may yield better results. Other Genres, like Jazz or Funk highlight actual Artists, but Rap is mostly about dialog and studio samples.

• Members

A lot of the hip hop I'm vaguely familiar with used loops and samples pulled from 60's and 70's R&B records. A lot of those records had a 'breakbeat' section where they'd have a few seconds of just drums or drums and bass going that usually lead to a 'build up' towards the end of the song. Urban DJs figured out how to 'loop' the breakbeats endlessly using a two-turntable setup with a crossfader. They could keep the groove of the song going while they rapped.

So basically, learn to play bass to upbeat 60s and 70s R&B tunes, like "Good Times" by Chic, which is sampled for "Rapper's Delight". I'm sure Google knows which rap songs are based on what samples. :D

• Moderators

I might consider the three of these because they are all very different and have very different applications of the bass as an instrument.

Miami - Will Smith

Fantastic Voyage - Coolio (flipping back and forth a lot between a synth pedal/clean though)

Luv U Better - LL Cool J (very interesting space left open)

Archived