Rhythm bass

Jazzmag

• Members

Well our bassist is leaving. In the ten years that the band has been together we've gone through seven bassists and frankly I can't stomach training another. So our rhythm guitarist and myself have decided that we will split bass responsibilities between us by swapping instruments. Now I'm a guitarist and know very little about bass equipment so I'm told that on top of the amp and bass I will need an harmoniser pedal and a distortion pedal to keep that big thick second guitar sound. I've been pointed towards the akai unibass which apparently does both but is quite a bit more expensive than two separate pedals. We're heavy alt rock, and need the balls. So the question is. Can anyone recommend gear that will point us in the right direction? Do bass amps come with second switchable overdrive channels? we haven't bought anything yet but I'd rather not pay much more than 300 for the full rig. thanks in advance Jazz

• Members

Bear in mind I'm a rhythm guitarist who doubles on bass but I don't see many bassists using effects beyond compression. If your budget is $300 for a bass and amp together, check out CraigsList or maybe a pawn shop. A used Ibanez, Peavey or maybe Squier bass and a Peavey SS combo amp ought to be doable for that price but don't expect a lot and don't expect anything left over for effects. Double your budget and you might get some decent gear if you're not picky.

Edit: Okay, I checked the local (St. Louis) CraigsList and found a David Eden 200 Watt combo amp for $150 and a Yamaha BB300 bass with a new Seymour Duncan pickup (similar to a Fender Precision), also for $150. That might get you in the door depending on how loud your drummer is.

• Moderators

I've been playing bass for forty years or so, give or take. I don't use any effects at all, for the most part. In one band, I use a Digitech Bass Synth to play a line done on synthesizer on the original recording, but that's it.

Lots of bands have done quite well with one guitar and one bass, with no additional effects to speak of. That said, I can see the utility of adding in a harmonizer and some distortion to fill in, make it sound more like a four piece. I've given it some though myself, but I usually end up in bands with two guitars, so it hasn't been necessary. Good luck.

• Members

It also occurs to me that, if money is truly a factor and if you have a spare guitar head, you could buy a used bass and bass cab (do make sure it's a bass cab) and use the spare head for bass. If you have heads of different Wattages, use the more powerful one for bass. Not ideal but it will get you in the door. There still won't be any money left over for effects though.

Archived