Kustom DE 610 - good or bad?

isteen

• Members

I am considering getting the 6x10" cab from Kustom, 600 watt at 4 ohm.

I realize I won't get a superb sound from a budget cab, but I'm hoping someone can explain a little bit about the tone I'd get from it.

If I say Hartke Transporter - THAT tone is not for me.

I play rock (some southern and grungy stuff sometimes), and on occasions I join an semi-acoustic session.

What's the verdict on Kustom Deep End cabs?

Thanks

• Members

6X10's are easier to move around then something like a Ampeg 8X10. I do like the fact you can turn off the Piezo driver in the back with a switch. Having the hand rail and wheels like an SVT is cool too. You really cant beat it for under $300.

The only issue you have with six speaker cabs is the speakers have some oddball impedances. I believe the cab uses 24 ohm speakers. Six of them in parallel gives you 4 ohms. If you ever had to replace the speakers or wanted to upgrade them, you have super limited on options.

Many SVT cabs used 32 ohm speakers which are rare as well. At least some companies like Eminence makes replacements. Luckily you can use standard ohm speakers to wire an 8 speaker cab. 6 speakers is one of those weird animals if you want a balanced output. I have a 6X12 Sunn Cab that used 12 ohm speakers. Some of them were blown when I bought it used and by using some standard speaker replacements I'm able to get it wired for 6 ohms using some oddball series parallel wirings but that limits the heads I can use with it.

• Members
Where are you seeing it for that price?

More than likely WRGKMC is thinking of the DE410, which does run around $300. The DE610, OTOH, is around $600. Either that or the $300 figure is a typo. Regardless, it's always a good idea to check prices for yourself.

• Members

Its what came up when I goggled it. I remember seeing the 6 speakers and horn. and that's where I read the specs and prices. I may have been seeing a sale price, Or maybe the page also had a 4X10 on it and I read the wrong price.

This place does sell them for $499 which is still a good price. Most others sell them for $599 http://makinmusicstores.com/kustom-d...inet-4670.html

• Members
. . . This place does sell them for $499 which is still a good price. . . . http://makinmusicstores.com/kustom-d...inet-4670.html

Cool. I'm not in the market for anything right now but I gotta remember that place. Thanks.

Edit: On second thought probably not. I checked their inventory and they have no electrics except a couple of used Gibsons and their only acoustics are cheap ones. Oh, well, still a pretty good place for amps.

• Members

I wouldn't mind having one of their 8X10 cabs. Its probably close enough to an SVT to sound good with my Ampeg head. I have an oddball assortment of cabs now and have to run them with different heads to get a decent blend.

I run a Traynor cab with 2X15" Celestin's I been running with my Ampeg head.

I have an EV cab with an 18" JBL and 2X10's I run with a Crate 200W Head.

And I have Folded Sunn cab with a 15" JBL I been running with either a Bassman or Sunn Convert lead head.

Each has their drawbacks and high points. The Traynor can is too shallow. It may sound OK with a Traynor head which is voiced for it but it lacks bottom due to its smaller air cavity.

The EV Really needs a good 500W head to make it sound its best with that 18". I could run it bi amped but even though the 18" is a JBL, it misses the mark on the tones I like, but it does add sub lows which are important.

The Sunn cab is my favorite. I just wish I had the 2X15" version or a pair of these singles. I've used the 1X15" playing live and its designed to throw bass long distance. Its got a 300W JBL in there but its actually over kill for the cab size and you can tell the cab is over compressed at high volumes. You don't begin to hear how good it sounds until you're about 25' away from it. Its just that a single 15" isn't quite good enough, and getting another cab to match the folded sound doesn't work. A flat faced cab and a folded cab are out of phase with each other and can actually sound worse.

I suppose two of those 4X10" cabs would be the ideal setup. At least you could move those without busting a gut and getting a hernia and you could stack them to get an SVT sound when needed or just haul a single cab for rehursals. You could also put one on either side of a drummer for some decent kick.

• Members

BTW I do like my DE810 - had it up to full boogie pushed by a Micro-VR driven into output overdrive (MOSFET "tubes" ;) ) a couple months ago at a big outdoor gig. Freakin' loud - woo! :)

I like that big sound. It doesn't have to be super loud, just big.

Archived