how to play and record bass?

samal50

• Members

There was a time when I record the drums and guitar first then bass I neglect. I played bass like it was a guitar, simply following the key/note of the guitar, nothing technical. Now, I'm familiar with recording drums first then bass then guitar, etc. There was a time when I didn't pay attention to detail of drums. In my case a drum machine. Now, I observed that it's usually bass, snare, bass, snare, then roll, then it's back to bass, snare again without losing a beat. I'm sure there is a way for bass to work in the same manner so I do not lose a beat (or bass). I was so used to playing guitar riffs that I forgot bass should have come first than guitars. Anyway, so for me not to lose beat of the guitar, do I simply play the guitar on the same key/note as the bass? Probably the reason why I preferred to record guitar first than bass was because I was used to playing in chords (since I am a guitar player foremost), not in single finger note as bass is usually played in and not really "chords". So would the general rule be to be in the same key/note of the bass when playing the guitar? If the bass note is on the 1st fret, top string, do I play my guitar in the same position (1st fret, top string)? This may be a powerchord, but how do I play the bass when I am using actual guitar chords (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, etc)? Do bass playing actually have chords like guitars? I always viewed the bass guitar as a single finger play instrument.

• Members

There are no specific rules. A musical composition can have bass as simple as playing everything on a down stroke to being highly complex solo instrument. How you record bass is simply a matter of choice. You can record it as a solo instrument, to a guitar, drums, first or last. The only rule you should adhere to is, when you pick up that instrument, you play it to the best of your ability and it will have something to add to the music, not drag it down. Bass can be just as complex as any other instrument and if you want to play it well the beat thing you can do is play along to your favorite music and learn all the riffs other bass players use. Then when you know enough of them you can choose the ones you like best and modify them to fit your own style.

One thing you usually find is the bass is locked to the kick drum. The two punch together because they are both bass instruments and if that timing is off its going to create a flabby kick from your playback speakers. You can add extra notes that follow the snare or other drums, on breaks and bridges but the bass will come back and reunify with the kick, especially when the song comes back to the lyrics and the bass is backing up those vocals.

I often record guitar and drums at the same time and add bass later. When I'm done with the recording you would have no way of knowing which track was recorded first. You could even record drums last and bass first if you have good enough tempo so the other instruments can be played to that part. A click track can help allot.

If you're into cover music, you can even import a cover tune and play along to it and start with any instrument one at a time. Then when you have all the parts played exactly like the cover tune, just mute the cover tune and adjust your tracks up in volume and you should match that cover tune depending on your playing skill.

In any case, its best to learn how to play well before you attempt to get too deep into recording. Recording can be an important aid to learning, but if you lack many of the playing and composition skills it can become discouraging. Best suggestion I have is to get in a band with other players and make the music sound the best you can live. If an audience likes what they hear from a live band, they should like what you record. Then when you know the material so well you can play everyone else's parts as well as you do your own, recording solo isn't nearly as difficult because you can start with any instrument and it wont matter because you can play any of those parts equally well As a bass player, As a drummer, As a keyboard player because you have mastered those instruments.

Transferring skills from one instrument means you have to invest just as much time as you did on that main instrument. This is what a conductor of an orchestra's job is. He can play all those other instruments in an orchestra just as good as the players he's conducting and has sat in their places performing. Then when he writes the music it fits all those individual skills the players utilize. He takes into account the difficulty and note ranges of the different instruments, otherwise the parts may be unplayable. Then when he conducts, he can jump into the shoes of the violinist or oboe player when the melody moves from one section to another.

Recording is very similar to this. You should know the instruments and the individual parts at least well enough to develop a plan for the music as a conductor sees it. Then when you put on the working hat of a bass player or drummer you can pull off an effective role as that player. This is how many bands do it in a studio. If they get a basic rhythm track down, and they Hear those Maraca's in their minds eye, that make that aural vision a reality. they pick that instrument up and learn to use it well enough to express what they hear in the back of their mind playing along to the recording, then record it. If that vision is strong enough and clear enough, you don't even need that other instrument as a crutch to lean on. Instead you take the lead role and lead all the other parts with it, even though those instruments have already been recorded and are playing back. Its all a matter of positioning yourself and your skill within the mix to do what's best for the mix.

If you're having issues getting a bass to fit. Take that instrument out to the wood shed and play that one part for 80 hours and don't come out until you have that sucker nailed. You wouldn't walk into a sward fight without practicing. You should do the same with your instrument. Also imagine that mic is broadcasting to a million people as you play live. Everyone will hear you play and if you don't have the parts nailed down, that's exactly what they will hear.

• Members
....................The only rule you should adhere to is, when you pick up that instrument, you play it to the best of your ability and it will have something to add to the music, not drag it down..........In any case, its best to learn how to play well before you attempt to get too deep into recording................................Best suggestion I have is to get in a band with other players and make the music sound the best you can live.............................................. ..........Take that instrument out to the wood shed and play that one part for 80 hours and don't come out until you have that sucker nailed. You wouldn't walk into a sward fight without practicing. You should do the same with your instrument. Also imagine that mic is broadcasting to a million people as you play live. Everyone will hear you play and if you don't have the parts nailed down, that's exactly what they will hear.

qft^^^^^^^^^^^

• Members

If you are more comfortable establishing the "groove" of the music with rhythm guitar then I would suggest recording that first (with or after the drum part) to use as a guide for the rest of the song.

Even if you don't keep the original guitar part, it will be there for you to play along with as you record the other bits.

I would suggest listening to some JJ Cale recordings to see how a strong groove can be created with very simple bass, drum and guitar parts. You will be able to see how these simple parts work together, like the different parts of an engine do, to make the whole thing go.

Archived