d'addario Nickel Wound bass strings $9.99 at GC Labor Day Sale

epi56ebony

• Members
Oddly, it hadn't even occurred to me. I figured that Musician's Friend was GC's online outlet. . . .

You'd think so but not quite. Different deals on different gear. For example, there's a G&L Tribute guitar for $300 at MF that isn't on sale at GC.

• Members
I figured that Musician's Friend was GC's online outlet...

If there ever was an outlet store within the GC empire, Music123 would be "the outlet store."

MF and GC both have mail order outlet departments, but the GC brick-and-mortar store chain side of the empire is allowed to sell a few more things only in the physical stores -- and sometimes at lower sale prices -- that all of the mail-order entities cannot. In modern times, Music123 tends to act as the bargain basement part of the GC empire, even though, if you really want to, you can buy practically anything that MF offers through Music123 or even WWBW.

WWBW (WoodWind BrassWind) is another arm of the mail order GC empire that tends to cater towards the band instrument crowd more so than MF. Musician.COM was created by GC and was yet another mail-order-only arm of the GC empire for a few years, but, Musician.COM has been shuttered for a while now. Music And Arts is the other existing brick-and-mortar division of the GC empire that mostly sells band instruments, but, they also sell some guitars -- the Maestro brand being one of them.

Back in the 1980s and early 1990s, I bought a few things from Musician's Friend brick-and-mortar stores. This was before Musician's Friend became mail-order-only and *way* long before GC bought them. I visited Musician's Friend stores in Las Vegas, San Diego, and I believe Tustin or Orange.

Over the years, Guitar Center has bought Musician's Friend, Music123, WWBW, and Music And Arts.

• Members

I usually buy my strings on line from Just Strings. I've been buying from them for at least 8 years now and if I've ever had a lost package or bad batch of strings they have made good on it. The delivery is about 3 days too.

I can usually get a twin pack of D'Addarios for around $22 depending on the gauge. I don't like crowded stores and holiday sales because they are always out of the things they advertise in big cities like Houston. Also in my case, I'd easily burn a gallon or two in my Mustang 5.0 just driving there in traffic so I actually save money just buying on line and paying for delivery. I just buy in bulk and then I don't have to do it very often. I still have two sets left over from a Christmas gift last year so I'm good for awhile in any case.

Archived