Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade from Peavey MAX 115

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse







X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Actually looks like Dolphin screwed up and that item at £229 is the 210 cab
    Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

    Comment


    • #17
      I love my Peavey Tour TNT 115.. I don't move it weekly, but it packs a lot of punch and tone capabilities.
      The Smarm has left the building...

      Comment


      • #18
        I don't know. I've jammed with several bassists who used 2X10 cabs and they get lost in the mix
        when I use my amps.

        The bass cab has to at least match the drummers kick drum. Most kick drums are around 15" in size or larger.

        Having a bass guitar produce enough kick with just 2X10's just doesn't cut it for me no matter how loud the amp is.
        Its not about loudness it about the cab size. A 2X10 just sounds small, just as a small guitar combo with an 8 or 10" sounds small.

        When I use my Marshall and 4X12 it just sounds bigger at any volume because the cab has more thump caused by the air in back of them.
        A 4X10 on the other hand is about equal in bass response to a 1X15 and can create a big enough sound to match most drummers.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by WRGKMC View Post
          I don't know. I've jammed with several bassists who used 2X10 cabs and they get lost in the mix
          when I use my amps.

          The bass cab has to at least match the drummers kick drum. Most kick drums are around 15" in size or larger.

          Having a bass guitar produce enough kick with just 2X10's just doesn't cut it for me no matter how loud the amp is.
          Its not about loudness it about the cab size. A 2X10 just sounds small, just as a small guitar combo with an 8 or 10" sounds small.

          When I use my Marshall and 4X12 it just sounds bigger at any volume because the cab has more thump caused by the air in back of them.
          A 4X10 on the other hand is about equal in bass response to a 1X15 and can create a big enough sound to match most drummers.
          I've heard about an equal amount with the same and the opposite story, and I'm guessing it down to the drummer and the particular 10" speaker.

          Randy Jackson swear that he'd never use anything other than 15" drivers, that it gives the response that's as close as possible to an upright, and then Roger Glover won't use anythng but 10" drivers in various configurations as he likes the tightness.

          I believe the term is swings n roundabouts
          Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Ratae Corieltauvorum View Post
            Actually looks like Dolphin screwed up and that item at £229 is the 210 cab
            Yeah, apparently there are some straight cabs mixed in with the combo amps. Looks like the next best thing is the Laney RB7: 300 Watts, 2X10, 25kg/55 lbs. Unfortunately, it's a whopping 389GBP! http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/guitar...bass-amp-combo. For a bit more, there's the TC Electronic BG210: 250 Watts, 2X10, 20kg/44 lbs. But it's 415GBP. I realize you budgeted more than that but I'm fundamentally cheap and I hate making someone else spend more than he has to: http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/guitar...x10-bass-combo.
            Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
            Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
            Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
            Person-2-Person on the Web

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post

              Yeah, apparently there are some straight cabs mixed in with the combo amps. Looks like the next best thing is the Laney RB7: 300 Watts, 2X10, 25kg/55 lbs. Unfortunately, it's a whopping 389GBP! http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/guitar...bass-amp-combo. For a bit more, there's the TC Electronic BG210: 250 Watts, 2X10, 20kg/44 lbs. But it's 415GBP. I realize you budgeted more than that but I'm fundamentally cheap and I hate making someone else spend more than he has to: http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/guitar...x10-bass-combo.
              The BG250-210 is top of my list

              I just gotta s*ve
              Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

              Comment


              • #22
                This is also very interesting

                http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-comb...bass-combo.asp

                Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

                Comment


                • #23
                  The Ashdown does look interesting although personally I'd prefer a 2X10 over a 1X12. I note that the Laney RB7 is "only" 358 GBP at Anderton's: http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-comb...binet-300w.asp. I also find it odd that Anderton's has a pic of a 1X15 amp for the TC BG250 210, even though the amp is actually a 2X10: http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-comb...bass-combo.asp. Anyway, good luck. Maybe you can find something in good used condition so you won't have to save quite so long.
                  Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                  Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                  Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                  Person-2-Person on the Web

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X