B.C. Rich Warlock bass, no neck relief

bdwgml@gMail.com

B.C. Rich Warlock bass, no neck relief  

1. 1. B.C. Rich Warlock bass, no neck relief

• heavier strings
    • get rid of it

• Members

I like to cruise the pawn shops once/month and have a look at what's on display. Recently I was told they'd reduce the price on a Warlock bass, when they saw me admiring it. It's got new strings and a new setup. Something that bothers me however is the total lack of support on the B.C. Rich website. I can't even find an owner's manual for the guitar or figure out what model number it is. fetch?id=31092203

• Members

It's a Warlock. That's the model. What do you need a manual for? No bass I've even bought, owned or played has had a manual. It's worth whatever someone who wants it is willing to pay.

Depending on which one it is, they are all over the net for $199 and up...

• Members
. . . What do you need a manual for? No bass I've even bought' date=' owned or played has had a manual. . . .[/quote']

When I bought my first and only bass used a few years ago, I Googled "bass neck relief." That's all I needed. I didn't even bother to try to adjust the pickup height, I just did a basic setup.

• Members

It's a Warlock. That's the model.

-----

Depending on which one it is, they are all over the net for $199 and up...

So there are different types within the model. The ones I see in the online catalog now only have one set of pickups unless they're soap-bar pups.

What do you need a manual for?

Well, for starters, to figure out what each of the knobs does. I assume there are two tone knobs and one volume. I also cannot find ANY support on the B.C. Rich site, so a manual would be even more beneficial.

If it is an early made in the USA one it is worth quite a bit.

That's a another problem, I don't think there's an indication on it where it was made. Maybe I should go back for a second look.

• Members
. . . Well' date=' for starters, to figure out what each of the knobs does. I assume there are two tone knobs and one volume. I also cannot find ANY support on the B.C. Rich site, so a manual would be even more beneficial. . . .[/quote']

Your assumption appears to be correct: http://www.activebass.com/r1812--B-C-Rich-Warlock. The bass in question is most often described as a P/J style (although there are a couple of P/P models near the bottom of the page) but it's described as having a single volume, two tones, and a pickup selector. Probably the simplest thing to do is to play the thing and see.

• Members

I would scrutinize that bass more closely and figure out where it was made.

Yeah, I read up a little yesterday about the serial numbers & how to tell the origin.

Probably the simplest thing to do is to play the thing and see.

Yeah, I'm always fearful that those pawn shop basses are gonna sound better than my P-Bass and it will seal the deal. I should check if they're open today.

• 11 months later...
  • Moderators
Sorry to hear it. We all have "ones that got away" (well' date=' there are probably guys out there somewhere who buy whatever strikes their fancy and never let anything get away but I'm not one of them).[/quote']

It'd be nice to have that kind of money, wouldn't it?

• Members

So there are different types within the model. The ones I see in the online catalog now only have one set of pickups unless they're soap-bar pups.

BC Rich has had many bass models over the years with dual P-Bass pickups going all the way back into the 1970s. Even though they are normally considered heavy metal / hard rock type basses, I always thought the dual P-Bass models of the Bich, Warlock, and Mockingbird had a great jazz-rock fusion sound. There have been a few bolt-on US models once or twice in the past, however, the one pictured above is most likely an import. The US models usually have a laminated neck-thru neck.

• Members

Sizing up the 2nd hand Warlock bass that nearly got lost by UPS today, and there is NO neck relief.

I loosened the truss rod until the screw is completely loose, no tension.

There's still no neck relief. If I put a capo on the first fret & hold down the 24th fret, the string is just laying on the fretboard, no gap at all. I even tried putting a .01" feeler gauge in there, and it wouldn't fit w/ raising the string.

I realize putting heavier strings on it might help, but am I fighting an uphill battle with this thing?

I thought I should say that I have tuned to E standard every time I made any adjustments before looking at the status of things.

• Members

Is the neck backbowed or just straight? Is it possible the bass spent time with the strings very loose? I'd put heavier strings on it and wait. The relief may come back to something close to "normal." Then again, you may indeed be fighting an uphill battle. Bear in mind that Rickenbacker actually recommends zero relief for their basses so you may be able to live with it if there's not any backbow. Or you may want to simply cut your losses and return it. Good luck.

• Members

I let the bass sit in the corner under E standard string tension all night & this morning there was a gap between the strings & fretboard.

I adjusted the neck relief to .012" & put the truss rod cover back on.

I was hoping to get to the hardware store to buy some screws for the pickups today, but it's snowing outside. If they call off my classes later today, I will just save it for tomorrow.

• Members
I let the bass sit in the corner under E standard string tension all night & this morning there was a gap between the strings & fretboard.

I adjusted the neck relief to .012" & put the truss rod cover back on.

I was hoping to get to the hardware store to buy some screws for the pickups today, but it's snowing outside. If they call off my classes later today, I will just save it for tomorrow.

You might not find the right kinds of screws for pickups at a hardware store. If this one uses P bass pickups you probably want these. http://www.allparts.com/GS-0011-003-Black-Bass-Pickup-Screws_p_1738.html

Archived