Jeez, Now TalkBass is Down

RoadRanger

• Members
Maybe we will start to get more traffic here. Dunno.
Yah, there are so many more forums out there to migrate to that there were when HC was at its peak - and so many have already done so during the "bad times" here.

IMO this latest change could have been much better promoted beforehand - I didn't hear about it until it was already down and I'm here quite a lot. I suppose there was an announcement somewhere but not where I could see it. Probably my fault for running an ad blocker LOL.

In any case another catastrophe so far with no visible improvement over the last software to me - although maybe they got the spam blocking working now?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Yah, there are so many more forums out there to migrate to that there were when HC was at its peak - and so many have already done so during the "bad times" here.

IMO this latest change could have been much better promoted beforehand - I didn't hear about it until it was already down and I'm here quite a lot. I suppose there was an announcement somewhere but not where I could see it. Probably my fault for running an ad blocker LOL.

In any case another catastrophe so far with no visible improvement over the last software to me - although maybe they got the spam blocking working now?

I don’t think the change was announced at all, and I seem to recall an Admin stating as much.

Although it’s been a while and things still aren’t perfect, I think (sincerely hope) that it’s kicking ass soon and things pick up.

• Members
Cool bass-- how are you enjoying it?
It's pretty good as-is but I need to figure out what I did with my nut files so I can lower the nut slots a touch - I'm pretty picky about that. But it's quite playable as-is. The frets look a bit "funny" and otherwise the action is super low - I suspect this one's seen a Pleck machine which is crazy for such a low-priced instrument. It does sound as close to a single pickup 'Ray as a passive bass can which is what I was after :) .

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

ALL forums have declined in the past few years. I blame Facebook primarily, but also perhaps special-interest forums have peaked in popularity (like CB radio did in the 70s). I don't think it will EVER be back like it was. The numerous re-vamps, re-boots have been poorly managed here over and over again. If a junkie can't get their fix for a day, they'll tough it out; if they can't get their fix for a week, they just might go CLEAN. HC forums went down, came back up but were often un-usable or very slow, only to be taken down again, sometimes for days at a time. It got to the point it was just an exercise in frustration to check the forum. Then, worst of all, they changed the URL for the forum, so when I tried to pull up the HC forum from my browser's bookmarks, I was directed to a "404 not found" error, so I thought for several weeks the HC forum was gone entirely. (this was about the time that GC was sold, so a wholesale forum & website shutdown seemed plausible) All they had to do was redirect people from the old URL to the new one, but NOOOOoooo.

TalkBass did a much, much better job with their new forum software. The forum was down for a few hours, came back up with no issues. I didn't have to re-apply for my user name, I didn't have to reset my password, my post count wasn't changed. Yes, the new layout is different, but the site works well and is as fast as the old forum. As a bonus, freeloading non-payers such as myself can have an avatar on TB now.

Archived