Posting photos ?

satmanjf@gmail.com

• Members

There are a couple of ways, this is what I do. Upload the picture to a hosting site - I use Photobucket and pay a small fee for extra memory and freedom from ads. Click on the photo and you'll get box with four choices for sharing, I click "direct" and it will say copy (or just highlight the URL and right click to copy it). What you have is the URL of the photo itself - it will start with http: and end with jpg.

Have HC open in another tab and be composing your thread. You can either type "" then right click and copy the UR:, then type or you can click the A button on the top of the posting window and you will get the full editor. There are four icons at the upper right, link and unlink, image and video. Click the image button and you'll get a dialog box where you can paste the photo URL.

IMG_2132_zps7e3c25b2.jpg

• Members

I'll add one further comment. Most forums use the same editing tools - usually enclosing something in square brackets [.....] and ending with a slash in brackets [/...]. Underlining, bold, video links, pictures are often done the same way even tho the look and feel of the forums might be totally different. One of the reasons I use Photobucket and the ... is that it works at the Martin forum and two lutherie sites and a bunch of other places that I wander into - I only need to remember one system (and have my photos in one place).

A similar thing happens when I want to post a sound clip (mostly at the VOMIT) - just like a photo it has to be hosted somewhere, then I copy it into that link editing tool and bingo, you can all hear what a crappy player I am. A vid is the same way, make a YouTube, host it, copy the link into the video tool and not only can you how crappy I am, you can watch me do it.

• Members

The simplest way is just drop the pic into the post box. From my desk top this brings up the scrutinizer with the interrogation. I pick and drag the size box to the edge. If 2 meny pixels then you get more third degree. Choose accordingly.

You can also drag directly from another web site. since these photae are properly formatted they seem to post directly.

The problem with Photobucket (which I used to use) is that they recently changed their policies and now they are holding everyone hostage - either pay them or you can't embed your pics on to forums anymore - and all the photos that were put up when they had a different policy no longer show up - they intentionally messed up the look of countless forum posts on countless forums world-wide with that decision. No warning, no notice.

I could overlook the way they handled this and would pay their extortion if it was a reasonable price (I actually used to have a premium account when it was more fairly priced), but they want $400 a year now for the privilege of embedding images on other sites. :freak: That's about four times more than I think that service is worth. As soon as I have time, I plan on removing every single image I have ever uploaded to their site and sending them a "forget you! - delete my account and remove me from your mailing list" message in protest. I'll never use their service again. They can't be trusted IMO. And I'm not the only one they ticked off...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/30/photobucket_charging_400yr_3rdparty_pgs/

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15919224/photobucket-broken-images-amazon-ebay-etsy-paid-update

• Members

Just a quick bump and update. Photobucket has become almost impossible to use with the overwhelming number of ads and pop ups. They do want $400 a year to go ad free - I refuse to be held hostage. Right now my profile says I still have free hosting - I'm going to leave it at that and only do the minimum uploading when I absolutely have to. As far as I can tell that will leave all the links that I've used in the past 10 years active so I can go back and laugh at my old posts whenever I want to.

I've also tried using the Image icon in the tool bar to post pictures from my computer - it seems to work fine and they don't seem to require resizing or any fiddling around.[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32072077[/ATTACH]

Here is another picture of the same guitar that I posted earlier - I'm happy with this.

One thing that I have noticed is that the Image tool doesn't seem to work in a comment on a post, only in a new reply. Seems like a minor problem.

So, yeah, a couple more steps but I think I will gradually phase out Photobucket. I guess the bad news is you'll still have to look at all my pictures.

• Members

What did you put in between the .......?

When I right click on your image I get a hyperlink to the harmony central address for my picture, in other words HC is now hosting it (sorta like Photobucket did) and you can now use the boxes to post it. However that doesn't work with the original image from my PC. As far as I can see the comment dialog doesn't have the robust tools that posting does.

Edit to add, we know that is true since things like quotes and bold don't work in the comment dialog.

• Members

I did that in the LP Special thread and I dropped the picture into a new post and quoted it bringing up the HC URL, IMG tags etc. That pasted and posted right in the comment box. Problem is that one only shows up when I'm logged in and not at all on Internet Explorer. Still gotta figure that one out.

• Members

I posted that at 11:45 my time and was logged off until 15:30, so I was off when you asked that question. What it looks like is that when I upload the picture thru the normal posting Image dialog it does host it at HC, if you right click here is the image address

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/filedata/fetch?id=32072077&d=1506875916

I think what it does is place that between the boxes so if I die tomorrow you'll still have to look at my pictures. And once its hosted somewhere then it can be pasted into the comment dialog.

Archived