Need Help Identifying Speakers

Curly Head

• Members

I just got a 4x8 cab from a friend but I have no idea what kind of speakers are inside. The stamp on the speakers says CS8-3 0118 D3. I've tried finding info on the net but no luck. I have a 8ohm head I'd like to try it with but don't want to mess anything up. Any idea what kind of speakers they are and what the ohm rating is?

Thanks.

I just got a 4x8 cab from a friend but I have no idea what kind of speakers are inside. The stamp on the speakers says CS8-3 0118 D3. I've tried finding info on the net but no luck. I have a 8ohm head I'd like to try it with but don't want to mess anything up. Any idea what kind of speakers they are and what the ohm rating is?

Thanks.

Is there anything else stamped on the speaker frames? You're looking for a six or seven digit number - usually without any letters... but your number has letters, but if we ignore that and we pull them all off and try to use the resulting number, we're left with 830118 - 3, which doesn't look like any of the EIA codes for guitar / bass amp speakers that I'm familiar with.

According to this site...

http://www.triodeel.com/eiacode.htm

...830 is Triad's EIA manufacturer code, but if they made speakers / drivers for guitar amps, I've never run across them. :idk:

What brand / model cabinet is it?

Any chance you could post a picture of the back of one of the speakers?

• Members

Can you post a picture? I've seen just about every common speaker and might be able to tell you what they are.

Are these vintage or modern? Were they the original speakers in the cab or replacements? Do they have paper surrounds or foam?

Today there are hundreds of different speakers being manufactured. A pic would help narrowing it down.

Going by the number CS8 may mean Community Sound 8" speakers. It can just as easily mean Ceramic Speaker 8" or even China Speaker 8".

As Deep end mentions, you need an ohm meter to measure the DC resistance and get a ball park idea of what the impedance is. The DC resistance is usually within 2 ohms of they're ratings. If its for example it reads 6~7 its likely an 8 ohm. The DC resistance is usually slightly lower then the AC Impedance because the AC inductance adds resistance.

Unless you use a meter you're guessing which can be risky. Knowing what kind of amp you have is important to know too. If you have a tube head you want matched resistance. Some tube heads for example will run 4~8 ohms safely, but not 2 ohms or 16. Many solid state heads will run at 4 or 8 ohms and anything higher safely, but never lower then the minimum rating.

• Members

Thanks guys. The cab is a homemade job and I'm hoping to use my Fender Greta as a head with it. The Greta has a min of 8ohm impedance. Great idea with the Ohm meter. I'll try that. Here's a photo of the speakers. I'll likely get a different speaker anyway but I'd love to know if they're worth keeping.

8ad80ac927ae51d5e250d9c36e56fea1.thumb.jpg.edec1968d3db1f0d374d995a9dd2d69e.jpg

Thanks guys. The cab is a homemade job and I'm hoping to use my Fender Greta as a head with it. The Greta has a min of 8ohm impedance. Great idea with the Ohm meter. I'll try that. Here's a photo of the speakers. I'll likely get a different speaker anyway but I'd love to know if they're worth keeping.

I think I've got an ID on it for you... it's a (probably relatively inexpensive) 8" speaker from Parts Express:

https://www.parts-express.com/cs8-3-...4-ohm--299-344

They appear to be discontinued.

If this is in fact the correct speaker, it's rated at 4 ohms. Power handling is good, but the frequency response (30 Hz - 1.5 kHz) is pretty poor - especially for guitar use.

I would NOT recommend using these with a head with an 8 ohm output.

Archived