Mount 2 speakers on a lighting stand

• Members

Looking for a way to mount 2 ev sx300's on an on stage lighting stand. Basically the stands go up 10ft and that's the part I need, I've got nice speaker stands but they don't get higher than 6ft really. I've found these On Stage SSA3 1.5" to 1 3/8" adaptor (goes on top of he stand) On stage sa7920 dual stand adaptor (speakers sit on this) Options

• Members

I have a couple of 12ft lighting stands that will fit my JBL PRX's without adapters - they are the same diameter as speaker poles. They are not expensive and certainly not the best quality but I have been using mine for a couple of years and they are still going strong. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/musicians-gear-lighting-stand

• Members

Well you can raise the hercules stand with the cranck more than 6 feet (we don't use feer over here, We use meters instead, so on mine the top of them would be like 3.2 meters all the way up, that would be like 9 something feet agehorse, but for me is to high, but it can be done)

• Members

The ST-132s are pretty solid for use as outdoor speaker stands. They also have an adjustable leg so you can level them on uneven ground. Rating is 220 lbs, although like most stands I would not consider putting that much up on them.

http://globaltruss.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=227&MainId=4&Category=41

For a lighter load as Unalaska is describing I have used Ultimate TS99B or TS99BL with a K&M 24105 fork, sandbagged of course.

• Members
I use ST-132 crank stands that go to 13.5' and a twin mount from Quik Lok several times a year for festivals. Here's one of three towers I used a couple weeks ago for the Bay Seafood Festival.

Scary - the base does not look wide enough to me.

Is the stand secured in any way or is it just sitting on it's base?

• Members

I have some older crank stands that are rated 220 per stand. I've used them with 12" box truss and hung lighting from them before. I don't have any rigging stuff for the EV's and am not planning on suspending them anyway. I might be able to use the crank stands since they'd be the most sturdy option, I think they take a 1" square box on inserted into the top. I'll see what the forks have on the now.

• Members

I think it would be wise to see how the rating is determined. It may not be at full extension. Genie SuperTowers have a different rating depending on the load location. In any kind of breeze, no way would the rating be valid at full extension, not even a close try.

Stage roofs and trusses are rated in much the same way, all depending on the loads (both vertical and horizontal wind loads), type (point versus distributed) and location of loads.

• Members

This is an interesting problem. I estimate that the top of the pole will see a force of about 31N with a 30 mph wind, and 85N with a 50 mph wind.

31N is equivalent to the gravitational attraction between the earth an object weighing 7 lbs.

I estimated that the speaker pair had a maximal surface area when projected onto a plane of 5 sq ft, and I estimated that the coefficient of drag was that of a typical motorcycle+rider with a full fairing (0.6).

I haven't a clue how to calculate how much force would be required to tip that sucker over. First year physics was over 20 years ago, and I didn't actually pass. Although I had really good lab marks.

Wes

Archived