GOOD OLD DAYS

bigald18

• Members

What is wrong with this forum today. I haven't seen one debate about bridge pin sounds, bone vs plastic bridge saddles or nuts, laminated or solid wood sides or backs, asian vs american made, brass balls, etc. I can't even remember the last time I saw a thread about the guy that adjusts action on other manufacturers gits and then calls them his own brand and charges double for them. Those were the good old days.

BigAl :cool:

• Members

Yeah, around here it's been .... well.... :(

I'm hoping to get some time alone with my new guitar and the Zoom and record something for the VOM. Otherwise I've been kind busy with the honey do list and the kids and family coming to visit and all. If the guitar makes an appearance it's assumed that I as the homemaker am somehow slacking.

On the brighter side of things I got my hands on one of those Tone Rite contraption and have been putting it on the guitar I built. I don't know if I've become affected by the Kool Aid over at AGF but I feel like it's made a difference. Meanwhile, I've also started making sawdust on my second build. I'm expecting some new bits for my Dremel so that I can inlay a rosette into that Carpathian that knockwood gave me a couple of years back. Until then I went ahead and started splitting some Sitka bracing billets. Next time I go over to my friend's shop I'll be bending the sides. Visiting the McKnights always inspires me - since I still can't afford one of their guitars!

As for playing, I'm kind of in a rut. The praise band is on hiatus, fingerstyle has gotten boring and I've been looking for happier songs to sing but have come up empty. My wife is always talking about going to see 80s bands with our friends and I'm trying to get up the nerve to ask if they'd like to go to an open mic with me sometime. It would at least give me some better ideas of what to play around the house so long as the dishes are done and the kitchen floor is swept after supper.

• Members

Oh man you should totally go see 80s bands and you should totally orchestrate a night when they come along for an open mike. The trick is to build the music into your life where it transcends hobbydom and embraces other people. As long as it's just your refuge, it's very hard to sustain because nobody else can help you keep it alive.

• Members

If you feel the need, Michael, and only then I'd agree with you. My entire playing experience has been most welcome in the lone company of the guitar. When it's on the wall, it's inanimate. When it's in my hands it becomes something more and that's where the sharing occurs for me. I don't feel anything beyond that. People are not needed for that. I harbor no angst if I'm shanghaied into a jam or gig, and I do pretend to be an entertainer when that happens. I'd just rather it didn't but there are real people (as opposed to forum people) who know me and eventually I have to oblige the request out of good form. I was 4 years a free man when my guitar enthusiast acquaintances learned I played. One day at a GC I was outed by one of them when he spotted me in the acoustic room. Had to let him know I was 100% solo, bad feelings or not, and preferred not to jam or cop a spotlight somewhere. Still, it killed the spark of that relationship. Oh well, you'll have that.

As far as this forum goes, it's come full circle and the current membership (of old) doesn't have an appetite for yet another bout of do-overs. So, it lives a near flat-line existence. Perhaps we should talk about kites. They're unplugged.

• Members
All you dudes and newbees should try and restore this frum to it's old esteemed position. We used to have more people on in a day than we have in six months today. A lot of the info shared was invaluable.

Are you saying we should bring back the Annex?

• Members
I've been busy with the house' date=' the boat & fishng. :) Wanna go fishing in the Gulf? C'mon over.[/quote']

You sound like my FIL. If you see him and my MIL intentionally beached up on redneck reef tell them to Skype us sometime.

• Members
I hope I wasn't inadvertently one of them. That place was great and a testament to how dysfunctional THIS forum has become.

You?! Nevah. I never could figure out why it happened because it was basically a side bar move to get folks over to a forum that was (finally) more interested in music than an acoustic guitar. They are not synonymous or mutually inclusive. Strange days. I thought it was so funny because the guy most outwardly supportive of making music was made out to be a betrayer of HCAGF. That was about the last straw I could carry for this place. That was also during the so-called "good old days".

Archived