Considering the Behringer EPQ304 or iNuke Nu4-6000 for a LIGHT WEIGHT gig monitor Amp

• Members

Hi,

I'm currently looking for a light weight Class-D audio amp to go with my x-32 rack mixer to drive monitor mixes to floor wedges for my band.

I'm currently considering the Behringer EuroPower EPQ304 (only 40W RMS per channel into 8 ohms) and the Behringer iNuke Nu4-6000 (240W? RMS into 8 ohms).

I have a Phonic Power Pod 820 (200W) that we've been using for gigs and it is spec'd at 65W per channel. I measured it last night and it was putting out about 50W into 8 ohms with a 1Khz sine wave right before distortion started. (I tested this with a power resistor and an actual speaker using an oscilloscope)

I really hate lugging around heavy equipment so I was really hoping to stay in 1u and under 9 lbs.. The Nu4-6000 is 2u and has more than enough power, but might blow my monitors if I'm not careful.. The EPQ304 is a step down from what I currently have in terms of output power into 4 channels, unless I bridge it into 2 channels, but then what's the point, I wanted 4 channels.

Here you can see the Phonic pumping out 61v pk-pk or ~20v RMS.. 20^2 / 8 ohms = 50W RMS before distortion. They spec 65, I measured 50.. If Behringer spec's 40, will I measure 35? I really want the EPQ604. But they don't make that..

I don't really want to spend more than 400 bucks on this since I'm not a pro, this is a part time hobby..

135a8855216822c7614f5051787759c8.thumb.jpg.fb14cc27835089c95eda91712e85fc82.jpg

d41ff6ed2a70eccd22d9215e9c3cfa71.thumb.jpg.5aa1ad86ca50bf7f5434da26f7440393.jpg

• Members

If it were me, I'd look for a used QSC CX404 or Carvin DCM2004L. Should be able to find one for around $400... and they'll provide power for up to 4 monitor mixes at 2U and under 20lb. AND hold their resale value a LOT better than the other amps you're considering.

Edit: I can vouch for the PLX power on tap in the CX404... and ran one for many years. I sold mine locally on CL for $375 btw.

• Members

Last I knew you can get a pair of IPR1600's for $500 new - that's what I have at the moment. You can get XLS1000's for about the same - I used a pair of those in a band's rig where their monitors might find the IPR1600's a bit too much power. A Carvin DCM2004L is another good choice - I actually bought one but haven't switched over yet. Where are you located? I'd probably sell the two IPR's for $350 locally...

• Members
Last I knew you can get a pair of IPR1600's for $500 new - that's what I have at the moment. You can get XLS1000's for about the same - I used a pair of those in a band's rig where their monitors might find the IPR1600's a bit too much power. A Carvin DCM2004L is another good choice - I actually bought one but haven't switched over yet. Where are you located? I'd probably sell the two IPR's for $350 locally...

I'm in Portland OR.. I'm really looking to keep it light, how much does two of those weigh?

• Members
I'm in Portland OR.. I'm really looking to keep it light' date=' how much does two of those weigh?[/quote']They are 7 lbs each. My amp rack loaded with two of those and an IPR3000 is about 35 lbs. You can save a bit of weight going with the 4 channel Carvin I mentioned - but then if it dies you have no monitors :-( . I'm a bit conflicted as to if I actually want to swap my IPR's out for the one Carvin. I think I'd have to carry a spare amp then - now I can just cut down to two monitor feeds if I have to.

• CMS Author

I just want to point out that your results differed from the spec because your test method probably differed. Without know the particulars of the test method and conditions, it's a crapshoot. Also note the specs themselves are typically incomplete..."RMS", program, burst? One hour? 3ms?

It's also more than possible the specs are manufactured in the Marketing Department rather than R&D.

• Members

It's a good thing that you did not test some ofthe other amps out there with your test setup... what you are not aware of is that many of the class D amps (possibly including the new ones you are looking at) are internally BTL which means that the minus terminal is not giounded but swings at the opposite polarity to the plus terminal. If there is ANYTHING ground referenced in your test set-up, you could destroy your "scope" with current driven into and out of the ground.

Specifications really don't mean a whole lot unless you know how they are specified and you are using all the same metrics. In the case of what you measured above, (and assuming you are testing at 120V (which is pretty standard for USA/CA), the difference you are seeing is around 1/2-1dB so in practice it may not be all that big of a deal.

I would also look at something with a known good track record of performance and reliability like others have suggested.

Archived